Friday, September 15, 2006

Why I Love Rain

It's been rainy here this morning, and I'm LOVING it!!
I've mentioned before I LOVE rain! I don't think I've actually ever said why I love it, so I'm going to share! (Don't you feel lucky? I'm sharing just with you!)
Years and years ago...(I think I was 7 or 8) I went to church and heard the person who was speaking talk about when she knew God was real and that he loved her. She had prayed that if God was there He'd light up just ONE specific stained glass window, and it lit up. I remember thinking, "Gee, if God is real, and he can answer her prayer, why not mine?"
So that week I got down on my knees and prayed. I had grown up in the Church my whole life and I pretty much knew that God was real and that he loved me, but I wanted to know for SURE. I asked God to let it rain if He was really there. There was NO rain forecast for the weather, and soon after I prayed it began to rain. It wasn't just ANY rainstorm...it was CRAZY rain! This storm was the biggest I had EVER seen in my life! People around me were commenting on how big this storm was. In the back of my mind I knew why it was so big, but I kept it to myself. I had felt the Spirit's confirmation that what I had prayed was true and that this was a sign to me that what I had asked was true.
Every time I hear a storm now, I remember that day and the feeling. But there are a FEW other reasons I love rain...every time something good in my life happened, came about on a rainy day: when I knew what to do about college, when I knew I was supposed to marry Steve, when I found out I was pregnant with Cameron, the days following Cameron's birth...
When Cameron commented on the storm this morning I told him that the day I had found out that he was in my tummy was a VERY rainy day, and that's part of why I love rain. He grinned and promptly asked me all kinds of questions about when he was in my tummy.
I always joke that I know it's going to storm (rain or blow) when I have a good hair day...and today is a GREAT hair day...oh, well! Bring on the rain!
As I walked him to school this morning with our new umbrella opened and hearing the rain tip-tapping on it, I was reminded again of how blessed I am! Every time I walked past a wet pine tree and the smell wafted to me, I just grinned. Life is good and even though I complain, I should remember the things I've been blessed with!

4 comments:

CareBearMommy said...

I never knew the reason you loved rain. What a neat story. I'm glad that you are so happy right now, and that you're getting your rain. Have a great day! And, keep your fingers crossed that you won't have to babysit today.

Amanda said...

What a great experience, thanks for sharing. Have a great weekend!

Mall Worker said...

What a great confromation! I love the rain too!

Melzie said...

I Love the smell of rain! But it's not raining here. *sniff* Have a great weekend! We're partying tonight! YAY!!