Monday, September 04, 2006

My Life Monday

Yes, I'm back...and do I ever have some stories to share with you! But first...it's Monday, and MLM is back! YAY!
This week's topic is jobs we've labored at. (Being Labor Day and all...) So, without anymore distractions:
1. Babysitting at a daycare. I know some of you are wondering if this is a real job....well, when you're 16 and not doing much else, it is. I was actually a permanent babysitter for this couple and they just happened to own a daycare center as well. So whenever they got shorthanded they'd call me up and have me fill in. There were so many fun memories of babysitting there: finger-dancing, getting beans stuck in kid's ears, telling kids wild tales that have probably sent them into YEARS of therapy....yeah, I was THE best babysitter!
Finger-dancing came about because some of the girls who were at the daycare knew I was in drill team and they constantly begged me to dance with them. Usually I was wiped out with watching multiple kids at once, so I made up this thing where I bend and pointed my fingers in a "fancy" way. They loved it and anytime I saw them after that, they'd call out my name, and begin to finger-dance.
The bean in ears thing was actually not something that happened while I was there, but it happened because I was there. Let me explain. I learned a cheesy magic trick where I can make a penny "magically" come out of an ear. When the kids were restless and wanted something to entertain themselves with it was a lifesaver. I did the trick and as you'd expect the kids ooh-ed and aah-ed. Their eyes bulged and they were IMPRESSED. One night a little boy decided he wanted to show his parents the trick, but he didn't have a penny, so he substituted a bean. As you can imagine, the bean got stuck in the kid's ear, and they had to take him to the emergency room to get it taken out. After that I always managed to slip in a disclaimer, that they COULDN'T do this trick at home!
It wasn't a big job, but it was something that got me some extra cash every once in a while.
2. Short-order cook at Kmart. I was almost done with high school and my parents were not thrilled with my non-job status, so I went down the street to the local Kmart and applied there. I didn't hear back from them, so I hounded the lady who was in charge of hiring. Eventually she gave in and hired me to work in the eatery. It wasn't much, but it was a job. I learned a lot of quick cooking tricks, and had a fun time there. (I even met my friend's husband while working there...although, I was the one who had a crush on the guy first.) Eventually I worked my way out of that corner of the store to work on the floor in clothing. (NOT fun!) But even with being out on the floor, I still was sucked BACK to that eatery. When I went to ISU I wanted to keep working one day a month there so I could come back during the summer, but they just decided to stop scheduling me all together. I can't say that I'm sad about it, but dang it, I wanted those snazzy buttons that I had collected! Oh, well...
3. Secretary for a carpet cleaning company. When my husband and I were engaged I had applied at multiple places for a job, but had no luck. Finally one day after we had been married for a while my mom was talking with the secretary for my dad's shop. She and her husband had bought out another man's contract with ServiceMaster Carpet Cleaning, and they needed a secretary. I was asked to bring in my resume, and was pretty much hired on the spot. It was a fun job...when there was stuff to do. They had me go through all of the old contracts and call the people to see if they wanted to continue to get their cleaning through us, I cleaned out the files and re-filed everything in their office, and answered phone calls. It was super boring after that. There were the few times when they needed extra help cleaning a smoke damaged home, and I was called out to help. (Have I mentioned my non-cleaning genes?) Those times I actually got to talk with other people and make new friends. It was really a good job. But when they found out I was pregnant with Cam they told me that they were really just looking for a bookkeeper, and they would keep me on the cleaning team, but they were worried about the chemicals and me being pregnant.
4. Stay-at-home-mom. This is my DREAM job! The glamorous days of lounging around my house in my pj's and slippers, sipping cocoa, and eating bon bons...who could ask for more!? HA! Okay, so it's DANG hard work, but I really love doing it. Taking care of my family gives me great pride! I love not having to send my son off to someone else's care...he's MINE for the time he's not at school or therapy. It's what I've always wanted to do, and I'm grateful that I can!
5. Doormat...uh, I mean...Babysitter. As most of you know, I'm the babysitter for 3 families...but that equals 4 extra kids. So far it's not been too bad, but once the kids get mobile, watch for the updates! :)
That's it, I haven't done much, but I've done something!

6 comments:

CareBearMommy said...

I enjoyed reading your MLM, but HEY! YOU FORGOT ONE. What about AVON lady? Huh? ANYhoo, I look forward to hearing about your weekend. :)

Mall Worker said...

I can totally relate to the baby sitting gig. That was my job for years and years! Wait, it still is!

Dawnyel said...

Okay, just for you:
6. Avon Lady. A short stint that just recently went bust!

Mama D said...

Cool. I don't think I could ever work in a daycare or look after other people's kids day in and day out. I don't have the patience. I have to store up my patience for my own kid!

Anonymous said...

I am with Mama D...I lipve my own kids...and even those of my family and friends...but kids that belong to others...especially strangers...I don't. Babysitting that often would be next to impossible for me!

Blackeyedsue said...

I had to chuckle at the "doormat" job.

I worked at a children's museum for a LOOOOOOOONNNNNNNNGGGGGGGG time. I didn't have a baby till we had been married for almost four years. THAT is how much I disliked children after that.

YOU are a saint. Saint Dawnyel. I would have murdered them long ago.