Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Day Two of my Kindergarten Saga

I'm THRILLED beyond words!! A little girl from church is in Cam's class!! When I was talking with her mom earlier this summer, we both mentioned how good it would be for our kids if they were together in school, AND NOW THEY ARE!! I can breathe a sigh of relief. Little Jane will take GOOD care of my boy: helping him feel more included and help him be more outgoing. Jane is THE most outgoing little kid I know! I love her to DEATH!! Every Sunday she makes sure that she goes out of her way to make Cameron know that she's happy to see him. I can't tell you how excited I am for this!
We walked to school this morning...on our own for probably the last time for a LONG time, and I reviewed all of the "walking to school rules." ("Do you see any cars coming?" "Hold my hand." "Where are you going to meet mama after school?") Now I just have to worry about getting my babysitting habit under control.
Here's my NEW problem: I'm adding yet another child to my growing list of charges to babysit. (YES, I am officially insane!) Last night I talked with my aunt who wondered if I could watch her granddaughter for an hour or two here and there while she's busy working, and her daughter has to go to work...until her OTHER daughters get home from school. (Are you confused yet!?) So now my babysitting schedule is going to be crazy!!
On Mondays I will pretty much be on my own!! (Thank heaven for SMALL miracles...) I'll only have another kid if I have to watch baby B. (My new charge...she's 7 months old...so she'll be one of the OLD kids! What am I getting myself into!?) And even then, I'll only be watching her from 12:30 until 3:00! Not too bad!!
On Tuesdays I will only have to watch baby J. (The newborn...he'll be a month old on Saturday!) I'll start watching him about 7:30 or so...I haven't really figured out the times yet with him. I'll be talking to my cousin about it sometime soon! And after school, Cam STILL has speech therapy. Will I be able to shuffle all of this!?
On Wednesdays I may or may not have little L and baby E. (Little L is almost 2 and baby E is 3 months old.) When I start watching them tomorrow I'll have to be awake at 5:30 AM! (I am NOT a morning person, so this will be the hard part!) My friend L will drop them off in jammies and blankies and hopefully *crossing fingers* they'll sleep until 8:00 or so. (As long as Cam doesn't wake them!) Then I'll have to dress all three kids (me too) and walk Cam to school at 8:30! This is where I'm starting to think I was crazy to agree to all of this. Hopefully we'll get a routine going and the kids will adjust quickly! On Wednesdays Cam gets out of school early, so we'll pick him up and I'll only be busy with all three kids for an hour or so...until L and E's dad comes to pick them up.
Thursdays will be my insanely busy day! I'll have baby J, little L, and baby E! We'll ALL have to walk to take Cam to school....can I say....DOUBLE STROLLER!? Then I'll have all three kids together until noon....After L and E go home with their dad I'll have J until about 4 or so, but in that time Cam will have to ride the van so he can go to occupational therapy at 3:00! I'll be able to NAP when they all are gone! (At least I'm hoping!)
Fridays I'll be back to having L and E...coming bright and early at 5:30! But we don't have therapy, or extra kids...unless I need to watch B. (B could come during ANY of those days too, so the count will stand at kids: 5 me: one!)
I may have to babysit on an occasional Saturday, but it won't be too bad! On those days I'll only have the kiddos for a few hours here and there! My main concern right now is just finding a decent play pen to put the babies in while the older ones romp and play. Right now when I lay baby E on the floor he loves it, but he will get mauled shortly afterward if I don't keep a close eye on him. I'm hoping with a play pen, he'll be able to lay or play without the added bonus of being attacked by little L and Cameron.
So, in summary....I'm a crazy lady and I need a padded room and a straight jacket immediately! Anyone able to help!?

6 comments:

CareBearMommy said...

I would say, "Oh, poor Dawnyel," but you brought this all upon yourself! I just hope you didn't bite off more than you can chew. Good luck in finding a (somewhat) smooth routine. BTW... do you know someone with a double stroller that you could use? At least there won't be a time when you have to walk to/from the school with all five kids! (Then you'd be looking for a triple stroller!)

Mall Worker said...

Oh my! You are crazy! That would make me go off the deep end! I hope it works out well for you though!

Kristine said...

Good luck. The overlap doesn't sound too bad with all of the kids, and I am sure until they start being mobile, it will work quite nicely. Enjoy the rare days of one on one with those little ones. They can't be held enough!

Blackeyedsue said...

You are nuts! You have a little bit of an alphabet soup thing going on over there.

Try not to pull your hair out!

Melzie said...

Have a mom bring a play pen. When I babysat- I had 2 babies- and required each mom to bring a pack & play (or equivalent.) It was their choice to leave it or not.

Good luck-- I think you'll do wonderfully!!!! You just gotta get started so you knwo what the routine needs to be. :)

Mama D said...

Yikes. I wouldn't want to deal with all those children. I wish you luck and hope that everything turns out just fine!