Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Hope

Yesterday was Cam's IEP amendment meeting, and it went REALLY well. I had actually run into his teacher at church on Saturday, and talked about a few concerns I had (a little girl, who is Cam's bestest buddy flipped him off in pictures he took when he took his digital camera for show and tell, Cam INSISTING on taking a certain thing to school, telling me that his teacher said he HAD to have it, and I had NO idea about any of it...) So I felt somewhat prepared for our little meeting.
And just for your information, the teacher had a good talking to with Cam's friend about flipping people off, and we all just LAUGHED over Cam's insisting that he HAD to take an optional item to school. (I didn't believe him, so I made him get a teacher's note...which he DID get!)
Anyway, the news is that he will be getting speech services, but they will focus on his language/grammar skills. (My son says a lot, but he gets his pronouns and tenses mixed up.) Then his teacher told me that even though he's the youngest in DACC (the ages range from 1st grade to 3rd grade) he's picking up the things the OLDER kids are learning. If they're working on a new word, he's learning it. If they're working on addition, he's watching and picking it up. In no way is he in the same range as his peers, but he is advancing faster than expected. And THAT makes me happy and full of hope!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

YAY... Good news! It is awesome that you remember Bob in these situations! Baby steps!

Sketchy said...

Awesome news! Great job Cam!