Friday, October 05, 2007

Answers About Cameron

Kimby_L said...
Wow, can't believe how the years have seemed to fly by! I'm glad his appointments went well and he was able to have some fun between testing. My question which kind of centers around Cam: What is your favorite memory of Steve as a new dad? Oh, and, out of all of Cam's toy phases, which one has been the worst (e.g. Ninja Turtles, Dora, etc.)?
Kimby:
My favorite memory of Steve as a new dad would have to be when he gave him his blessing. He was SO worried (you were there the night before, so you remember!) He was so sweet with this little baby, and I knew that he would be a good daddy!
Cam's annoying toy phases, eh? Probably his toy cell phone. Anytime he has his toy phone, he morphs into one of those obnoxious cell phone people....interrupting conversations because his phone is "ringing," talking loudly, and just wanting to have it with him at ALL times!! It annoys me to NO end (which is why it's hidden somewhere where he CAN'T find it!)
*****************************************************
One Scrappy Gal said...
Happy birthday Cameron!!
What was his pregnancy/birth like? Can you tell I have "new baby" on the brain? :)
Scrappy:
When I was pregnant with the boy I was MISERABLE!! I was sick for nine straight months. I did have a nice 2 week reprieve from throwing up, but the rest of the time??? Pukage!! :P And oddly, even though physically I was ill and miserable, mentally I felt happy! I remember thinking that I didn't have to worry about body image (at least until one of my friend's mom's told me that I didn't LOOK pregnant....I bawled for a week after that!) I felt more beautiful then than I EVER have!
I had to be induced for his birth, and had cervadil and pitocin which did NOTHING for me. The furthest I got was to a 2-3 cm dilated. I never really had any serious labor. (I didn't know what a contraction felt like until AFTER I had the kid!) I had miserable back-labor, and had my mom and husband in the room with me. Steve was very concerned about the pain I was in, and my mom did the wife in labor thing, "OF COURSE she's in pain!! You did this to her!!" I never got angry or upset with the man, the whole time I was in the hospital!! Just my mom! :D
They had to monitor my blood pressure, because it was VERY high (200-something/100-something...) and every half hour the cuff would go off. I went in on the fourth, and nothing happened until the next day. That night I was having anxiety about having a baby, and the nurse, who was a family friend, gave me a shot of morphine!! It was the BEST stuff!! All night long my thoughts wandered...I didn't really "sleep" just had thoughts wandering, and no cares! Around one o'clock the next day, my doctor decided that if I had an epidural that maybe I could relax enough to dilate. Unfortunately, the epidural knocked my blood pressure down to 60/40! They lost HIS heartbeat, and ended up flipping me upside-down on the bed. This whole time I was sick and throwing up....and was just miserable. They kept taking away my little emisis basin, and I was freaking out because I wasn't finished!! The nurses were shaking my belly to get Cam back, and prepped me for an emergency C-section. Finally, after getting into the room, his heartbeat came back, and I was allowed one person in the delivery room with me. When asked who I wanted, I said my mom, because Steve couldn't handle it (the whole time I had been going through this, he had been kicked out of the room and not allowed back in at all!)
I didn't know, but the nurses gave Steve the option of coming in, and he turned it down anyway. (I've informed the man that the NEXT birth we have he WILL be in the room with me!! NO MATTER WHAT!) The anesthesiologist told me that I was pretty calm as opposed to how crazy I had been before. I told her it was because I didn't need to throw up any more! Then my mom came in the room and was in tears. I never really realized how scary everything had been! I remember seeing a lot of ceiling lights and blue for his birth....and my mom telling me, blow-by-blow what was happening. ("Your uterus looks like a boneless-skinless chicken!!" "Here comes your little boy....") After she told me that, I waited and asked if he was out. My mom told me that he had been out and gone for about a minute.
An hour after his birth I got to go into the NICU to see him. The pediatrician was there running all sorts of tests because he had inhaled the merconium, had an enlarged liver and they couldn't find his kidneys. (Not the kind of thing a first-time mom WANTS to hear...) The nurses were going to allow me to nurse the boy, but the doctor said he couldn't because he was NPO. He never was a very good eater, and I place some of the blame on the fact that I couldn't nurse him immediately after delivery.
His birth was pretty traumatic, and he ended up staying in the NICU for 6 days. He was 8 pounds 1 ounce, and was the biggest baby in the nursery! They were feeding the kid like he was a preemie...every 3 hours, even though it took him a full hour to eat one little bottle. Yeah, I have annoyances with how he was taken care of after his birth.
Thankfully, after 6 days, I was able to take him home, and just enjoy him!
******************************************************
Suzanne said...
Happy Birthday Cameron!!!
My son is 7 too and it's a good age. I've really enjoyed it so far!
Hmm...a question! What is his favorite color and favorite food? :)
Suzanne:
His favorite color changes daily, today it's blue.
He says his favorite food is pizza, although, if he could, he'd eat hot dogs ALL the time!
*******************************************************
mattsmom said...
HAPPY BIRTHDAY KIDDO! Are we old? Your son's birthday is making me feel old! HEHE HAHA
Cam...What is your biggest quirk?
mattsmom:
I feel like I'm having a "duh" moment.....what's a quirk!? Is it something odd that only you do?? Once I can figure it out, I will let you know! *doh*
I guess his biggest quirk is his memory. The kid remembers EVERYTHING!! Even things that happened YEARS ago, he remembers!! Seriously, we can't do anything when he's around!
*********************************************************
CareBearMommy said...
Happy Birthday Cam!
Blogger is being a dork. I posted a question on here yesterday about Cam, but when I just came back to check the answer, my question was, gasp, GONE! ANYway, I'll ask again... has Cameron ever lost or broken a pair of his glasses before?
Carrie:
Funny you ask....
This last camping trip, the boy lost his glasses IN MY TENT!! I was being a lazy bum and was still in my sleeping bag, but Cam, the morning person in our family, was WIDE awake and ready to get dressed. He grabbed his glasses and put them ON my chest, then got dressed. In the midst of his dressing, he grabbed the glasses and POOF!! They disappeared!!
I freaked out on the boy. Yelling, saying over and over, "We just can't afford to get you new glasses!!"
So we left the tent, and my dad, who had heard my ranting, went into the tent with Cam, and they searched EVERYWHERE!! Somehow, they had ended up underneath, YES, UNDERNEATH my air mattress!!
Thankfully, he hasn't lost them since!

No comments: