Friday, July 13, 2007

I'm SO Glad I'm a Grown Up!

It's interesting the people we run into and have conversations with....
Case in point: I went on a fun "date" with Steve to the Temple. It had been closed for weeks, and we'd heard about the new updates and we were anxious to see them for ourselves (they're GORGEOUS, by the way...)
While on my way to the dressing room, I ran into my old high school science teacher, Miss Jordan.
When I had Miss Jordan, I was a self-centered, snobby teen. To my mind, Miss Jordan was a million years old, and would NEVER change her ways. She was known for wearing a bun (ALWAYS) and for wearing her springy key-ring around her upper arm. And she was a "Miss." She taught school FOREVER, had a very monotone voice (for a woman) and was VERY particular with our assignments. We had to fold our assignments lengthwise, and write our name and class period on the OUTSIDE of the paper. Her love in science was with ROCKS! The woman would lecture forEVER on rocks, tectonic plates, and the different layers of the Earth. Yes, I have many memories of this woman...none of them are happy or with me being very kind to her.
Back to today, she stopped and looked at me, and I kindly said, "Hi, you probably don't remember me, but you taught me a LONG time ago." She smiled, her wrinkly smile, and said, "You look familiar...."
We went on to talk for a few minutes. It was a VERY nice time. This woman, who I was so RUDE to, was interested in my life. She asked about my family, and even, get this one, JOKED with me!!
I guess time is a good thing....and I'm so glad that people don't hold my past against me! (I'm afraid I would have NO friends if that was the case!)

7 comments:

Sketchy said...

Thats cool. Isn't it good to have positive confirmation that you have matured? I know I need it!

Lisa M. said...

I need it too!

What a great date, and a good conversation.

Good for you!

CareBearMommy said...

I totally remember her. Kids can be so mean, to each other AND to their teachers! Most of them grow out of that phase, and she probably realizes that. That's neat that you saw her in the temple, of all places.

Gina said...

What's important is the here and now. I think most folks understand we were all different people in high school. That is so neat you ran into her. Blast from the past and surely new feelings when you think back on her class later.

One Scrappy Gal said...

Was she wearing a bun and her key ring on her upper arm?

Anonymous said...

I ran into our Histlry teacher a little while back at the temple. She was the one I was the meanest to. She never ever smiled and gave us LOADS of homework. Running into her at the temple was such a cool experience! She was so happy and nice and helpful!

Dawnyel said...

Actually, she WAS wearing her bun...but not the keyring...I guess SOME THINGS DO change! ;)

Oh, and Mattsmom, was it Mrs. S?? She's in my parent's ward....it's weird to see her when I visit my parents at church!