Friday, November 03, 2006

Updates and Mindless Chatter

Well, I did it, but I feel HORRIBLE for saying it! The babysitting saga may be coming to an end! My friend's husband dropped the kids off and I acted with him as if nothing was wrong. Then I planned my exact words to my friend L. I planned to tell her that I needed to cut back on babysitting (since I neglected to say to all of YOU that I'm going to continue watching my cousin's baby...) and it was because we would no longer qualify for the kinds of medical benefits for Cameron that he needs. I didn't want to tell her a lie, I mean, she's STILL one of my good friends! So I planned to tell her the truth, and hope she'd understand.
She showed up to pick up her kids and I proceeded to tell her that we had just found out that we make $60 too much to qualify for Cam's Medicaid, and our solution was for me to cut back on babysitting. I then told her that I would have to stop watching her kids, and I was giving her a couple of weeks to find someone else. The look on her face was awful! She looked at me as if I had stabbed her in the back. She sat down in shock, and told me that she understood where I was coming from, but just to double check why exactly were we not watching HER kids. I sighed and told her that mainly, it was the fact that I can ONLY handle one extra child besides my own. I told her how much I would LOVE to continue watching her kids, I told her how I love them like my own, and that I feel bad about it, but it is necessary for my own sanity and that of my family's to cut back. She said she understood, and left my house without her normal chatter.
Now I'm feeling like a major loser! I never meant to hurt her, but it seems that's what I had done! I wish I knew a daycare center that was taking more kids, but I can only think of one place, and it's way out of the way for their drives. I just hope that she understands, and doesn't shun me because of this. She did mention that even without me babysitting I've earned up 2 years worth of massages and to feel free to call her anytime. I don't know whether I will or not, but I'm hoping to feel better about my situation soon.
And on another random note, I called my son's geneticist this week to find out how serious the MRI situation is. I asked him whether we need to plan on staying in Salt Lake for more than one day...what to really expect from the whole thing. He told me that there really isn't anything to worry about. The main thing is to get a good idea of what's really going on with him...to get a baseline scan. He told me that in his opinion they'll find nothing wrong with Cam, there is always the chance that they'll find something, but it's very slim! Then he told me NOT to worry! I wish he had told me this last week when he had called me, but I'm not so worried! It's going to be a long day, but I'm hoping there really isn't anything, or if there is, then it's small and treatable at this point!
Last night we had our crafty enrichment night. It was a ball! We could sign up for a few things and they even had a free craft. I ended up making 9 "be" blocks. It had the 9 be's that President Hinckley has given us on wooden blocks with vinyl words. I spent most of my night at the painting table making them and just talking. I've found I have this thing I do when I craft that could be a bad thing. I just mindlessly chat when I'm painting or crafting. I could spill my WHOLE life story, and not really pay attention to what I'm saying. I only realize what I say to people AFTER the whole night is over. Luckily I didn't say too many stoopid things, but I did say a lot more than I had planned on saying!
The fun thing of the night was a spread with a chocolate fountain. I was in HEAVEN! The nicest discovery was that I absolutely LOVE chocolate covered cinnamon bears! YUMMO! I don't really like cinnamon, but I LOVE those chocolate covered bears! My second favorite was chocolate covered strawberries! Oh, the bliss! I had a fun night...talking with women who totally get where I'm coming from and sympathize with my whining! It was a great time!

7 comments:

Suzanne said...

Even though the babysitting talk with your friend didn't go exactly like you wanted, at least it's done. She'll probably feel better about things after a little time.

I hope everything goes o.k. for your Salt Lake trip. I'm sure it's difficult waiting.

BTW, I love chocolate covered cinnamon bears. It doesn't sound like they would be good, but they are! You can also get them around Christmas time at the grocery store. Yum...

CareBearMommy said...

I'm glad that you were able to talk to your friend and be honest with her. Discussions like that are never easy. And even though you felt bad about it, you probably handled it in the best way that you could. With some delicate topics, there's just no "happy" way to get to the point. I hope she understands. At least you now know that kind of profession you are NOT cut out for.

That's neat that you were able to have such a fun time at Enrichment. Was that one of the big quarterly ones, or is there a craft group that meets on occasion? I wish they'd do something like that in my ward. Then again.... I'd have to find a babysitter, since Kelly can rarely make it home on time to watch the kids (our ward doesn't provide a nursery for the kiddies).

Good luck with the trip to Salt Lake. I hope that there is nothing wrong with Cam, and that all the worrying was for nothing. The doctor not worrying is a good sign. Hang in there!

ellen said...

Your friend's child care situation is NOT your problem. If they can't find someone who is as inexpensive as you it is NOT your problem. You have done her a huge favor. Take the massages and run. Good for you for ending it. Don't look back! Start crafting in your spare time. :)

Anne/kq said...

I think you are still friends with your friend, if you know what I mean. She didn't blame you, she didn't get mad. She said she understood. Take that at face value, and continue to be a friend to her in every other way you can, and I think the friendship will survive.

You did good. I know it was hard. (((hugs))) It will get better.

Anonymous said...

I second what Ellen said. And *hugs*.

Mall Worker said...

I'm sorry that the chat didn't go as well as it could have. Things like that are hard, I have to third (is that even a term?!) What Ellen said, its not your problem. You did what you could for as long as you could, thats what counts.

wendy said...

I get sweaty just thinking about having to have that conversation with a friend - atleast she didn't offer to stop paying you, to help keep you under budget!

I have the same problem with non-stop talking. It keeps me up at night, wondering WHY I said that!

The chocolate fountain was a brilliant idea - I will have to remember that!