Wednesday, November 01, 2006

End of Babysitting

I think I'm finished babysitting for my friend L. I've been doing a lot of thinking, studying and have come to the conclusion it would be better in the long run for my family, and my own sanity, to stop babysitting these little kids.
Here's the straw that broke the camel's back:
My son has many, many health problems, and we're on Medicaid. (Yes, we're mooching off of the government...but we accept it!) Anyway, with my new babysitting responsibilities we will just miss complete comprehensive coverage on the boy by $60 a month! SIXTY DOLLARS! I thought about maybe just taking a few weeks off and not counting that income...just allowing us to qualify when we reapply, but then I feel like I'd be messing with the whole system, and I don't like that! So I was discussing the options with my husband, mom, and brother and ALL three said I should stop babysitting the kids that drive me crazy. The more I think about it, the better I feel about the situation. It would mean a drop in the amount of money we're currently making, but I think we'll be okay! My only worry now is how to tell my friend that I need to stop.
I think the other thing that has gotten me in the mood to quit was a dream I had the other night. I don't remember all of the details, but I do remember that I was talking with my friend and her husband, and he was BEGGING me to watch their kids while they did something stoopid, and I had enough of his whiny attitude. I lashed into the man and started strangling him! (I was so mean, but WHO can control their dreams??) Anyway, I think that's a good enough sign to me that I need to stop. When you dream about killing someone else's husband it CAN'T be a good thing!

14 comments:

ellen said...

Just tell them that you're not going to do as much babysitting anymore and here's to a happier future!

Anne/kq said...

I think reducing stress is usually a good thing. And I think you should just say that you need to stop watching her kids, and leave it at that.

nikko said...

I think learning how to say no is one of the hardest (yet best!) things we can do. I agree--just tell her you're not going to babysit anymore for many reasons and she has X amount of time to find a new sitter.

Good luck!

CareBearMommy said...

Good luck! I know that saying "no" is always tough.... at least, for me it is. I hope you are able to enjoy life a little bit more without all of the babysitting sress.

BTW... the whole "mid-knight" trick-or-treating thing was cute, too.

Mel said...

Sounds like you've made the right choice! :)

Millie said...

Me too - I think this is a wise decision. If she's really a friend, she'll understand.

Mall Worker said...

Its always hard to say no. I'm glad that your giving up watching their kids. Especially after reading about your dream! Thats your minds way of telling you that you need to stop.

Amanda said...

I agree with what has been said. You have to do what is best for your family, even if it isn't easy.

I just had to laugh at your killing someone else's husband comment. LOL

wendy said...

Babysitting is such a tricky thing. I'm rooting for your! You can talk to her and let her know what you have decided!

Kristine said...

Brava, brava Dawnyel.

Yeah, I think the dream is a pretty effective sign that you've had it.

Good luck with the actual conversation.

Anonymous said...

I agree with the others. You can always say that you have a lot going on in your life right now and you need to focus on your family.

On the medicare thing - I wouldn't say you are "mooching" off the government. Even without your income, you'd probably qualify for a medicaid waiver for your son because of the developmental concerns.

Also, I'm just catching up with your previous posts, but I think you should follow your instinct with Cam's testing. Our son's first IQ test was in kindergarten and it was much lower than a test he had this summer. There was no way it could have increased as much as it did in 3 years unless the examiner made a mistake the first time. Of course, our son had developmental delays (verbal and motor) that could have masked his true cognitive abilities. Maybe the same is true of Cam?

Anonymous said...

I agree...when you start dreaming about killing other peoples husbands it is a sign that you need a break!

I am pretty sure that it is normal to dream about maiming your own hubby though!

I think that you need to follow your heart on this one. I commend you for being able to babysit other paoples kids...as I really don't like kids that are not my family. I mean...I like them okay, but I would never be able to hang out with them on a consistent basis. That is why I never went on to become a teacher. I love teaching...but I don't love dealing with other peoples kids...SO...GOOD FOR YOU for even doing it at all!

I will say though. I think that you were right when you siad that you haven't felt like yourself lately. You haven't seemed very happy to me based on your writings. You are such a hapy person normally, and it seems like your hectic schedule has taken at least some of that genuine happiness and even the nuttiness that we all love out of you. If you feel that it is the right thing to do to stop babysitting, then do not feel bad about it. And I hope that you can find the happiness that you are looking for.
I LOVE YOU!

Mama D said...

I hope it's not too hard for you to tell your friend. I'm sure she'll understand. The sooner you tell her the better.

And maybe make sure the husband isn't around. Just in case. ;)

Suzanne said...

I'm glad you made a decision that will make you happy. Good luck talking with your friend. At least your reason for stopping isn't one to make her feel bad (like if you wanted to stop if her children were misbehaving.)

Have fun with your extra free time! :)