Saturday, November 04, 2006

Musical Frustrations

Things are going better. I'm a bit worried that my friend L is STILL mad at me, but I can't stew over it too long! (Although I do anyway...)

Today was my husband's mostly day-off. (He doesn't work until 10:00 tonight...) so we slept in and then did some of his "musical" stuff. This year's musical is "Oliver!"

I normally don't say too much about my husband's musical, but I'm SO frustrated with it! It seems like whenever he does one of these plays I never see the man, and I really miss him! If I DO see him, all he talks about is the play, practice, or what he's doing in it. I really don't care! Does this make me a bad wife? I only ask that he do one play a year, because it's so hard on me, and he, for the most part, sticks with that agreement. But when I'm in the midst of the practices I get frustrated!

Today the kids from the play were singing in the mall. Now here's where TWO things I dislike clashed in a bad way! I don't like the mall...avoid it if I can...but I especially hate going there on a Saturday! UGH! I can't think of anything I hate more than that! But add the fact that the whole reason for going to the mall in the first place is to hear more of the musical....Don't even get me started! I went with Steve...humoring him...planning to watch just the FIRST performance (they had 2 planned) and then leave and do our other things. What really happened was we stood around while they were organizing everything...and just looking really dumb. So I figured that while they were doing that I'd go to the jewelry store and get our rings inspected, so I didn't just stand there doing nothing. Once Cam and I got back to where they were, the singing had started. Steve wasn't really doing ANY of the performing...mainly because they wanted the kids from the play to do most of the singing. They went through almost ALL of the songs that the kids sing in the play! It was cute, but it got boring really fast! But my husband was in the back of the crowd snapping pictures all over the place.

Once it was all over I looked at Steve and said, "Okay, we can go now, right?" Then he said that he was going to Barnes and Noble where the second performance was. I was NOT a happy person after that!

See, here's where I draw the line! I dislike the mall, on a Saturday, and with singing kids, but I refuse to go into Barnes and Noble...I DON'T like that store...at ALL! I told Steve that I thought we had just planned to watch the first performance...NOT the second. Then he looked at me with those big eyes of his and nearly begged to do this one thing. I sighed, and said, "Fine, but Cam and I are waiting in the van." Then I grabbed Cam's hand and left Steve to do whatever he wanted.


Now I don't want to sound like I'm a party pooper, but I can't handle Cam running all over the place in the mall. It's too crowded for my tastes anyway, and to be in Barnes and Noble? I hate the prices of books there...and I hate, hate, HATE the smell! They have a Starbucks in there, so the whole store smells like coffee. And that is one smell that just turns my stomach! ICK! So I didn't want to be the mom who chases her kid around the expensive store the whole while trying not to puke.


Cam and I entertained ourselves in the van doing magic tricks, and singing Primary songs at the top of our lungs. It was a fun time. Then Steve came out, and we left.


I'm just excited that the last week of Oliver! is this week. The performances are next weekend, and I can't wait until they're ALL over and I get my husband back! I know he'll be bummed, but he'll be ALL mine again...and for that reason, I can't wait!

3 comments:

Mel said...

I can see how that would be frustrating. I've been thinking a lot lately about how being a "wife" is so hard sometimes. That's funny that you try to have him limit his musicals to one a year. I have to do that with hunting. DH only gets one hunt each year. LOL.

I agree, Barnes & Nobles smells and its not fun to take kids there!

Anne/kq said...

I love the mall, and Barnes and Noble... But I'm sorry you had a rotten day. :(

Anonymous said...

I don't know if we can be friends if you don't like bookstores! *pets the books with fanatical fondness* Just kidding. :)

Kyle thinks playing hide and seek between the stacks is great fun. *twitches*