Friday, November 17, 2006

Re-Explaining the Situation

Maybe I should explain my dilemma a little bit better!
Cameron is getting in-school occupational therapy, physical therapy, and is pulled out every day for 15-30 minutes to go to the special ed room where they work on his reading and other essential skills. Cameron IS in the regular classroom the majority of the time, but the problem comes in when he doesn't have his aide right next to him. The teacher pulls him out to his little reading group during the centers (they have a TON of stuff to do while in those little centers!) And when he's just with his teacher, she can't get him to grasp many reading concepts. He knows his letters (one of the few in his class who does) but he doesn't understand that when you put letters together in a certain way that it makes words.
The benefit of putting him in the DACC program is the speed at which they work. They do the exact same program, but at a much slower rate. In Cam's current class they only have an hour to do a center: social studies, math, word work, art, and listening and reading. There are four centers, and usually at each one there are TWO projects to complete. For example, this week I ended up doing the same center twice. We had to copy words in our best handwriting and then color and cut and glue an Indian boy into a canoe. Doesn't sound that hard, right? Well, when you're a frustrated little kid it takes FOREVER. Not only do they have limited time to complete these projects, but they're constantly being called out for reading groups and to work on the computers. There are times when I'm working with my little group of 6 kids that I only have ONE with me. I know it sounds chaotic, but it works...for the most part.
Now, my dilemma comes when I think about taking him out of his current situation. He's doing well! I know that he'd do SO good in the DACC program...he would continue to learn and grow, but I worry that he'd lose his social skills. The principal, when she first pitched this idea to me, assured me that the kids do have times when they interact with their peers, but it's only on a small amount of time. Right now Cam is making friends left and right, and LOVES it! He does fine when he has someone who can explain things to him in a one-on-one setting, but he can't have that ALL of the time! He's getting many special programs working and vying for his time, but he's in the regular classroom for the majority of the time, and that's how I prefer it.
Okay, do you think I've made my case? I don't know if it makes ANY sense, but I do feel like for now, we'll continue doing what we're doing.
On a positive note, Cam is actually thriving here at home. I can't even begin to explain the difference I'm seeing in my little boy since I stopped babysitting those kids last week. He's been SO well behaved, and has been talking like a normal 6-year-old! When I was watching L and E he'd talk to me like he was a baby. It drove me bonkers. Now, he's funny and I LOVE it! Even when I'm babysitting baby J, he's better behaved for me! I didn't realize what kind of strain my babysitting was having on him until this week. The change in him is dramatic! I'm so glad that I followed my gut (and the advice of all of you and my family) and stopped the craziness! Life is VERY good!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am SOOOOOOOOO glad that Cam is doing so well at home! And I hope that just being his mom for now is giving YOU the thriving feelings that you need too! Like I said before...Cam is a smart kid...and I think that he will do just fine in regular kindergarden...but a little home turoring could help!
I am with you in trying to keep him in the regular class! Social skills (Especially friends) are just as important as reading at this point in his young life!

CareBearMommy said...

I agree with mattsmom. Social skills are just as (if not more so) important as academic skills. Good luck in fighting for your little man. He's lucky to have you for a mom!

Sketchy said...

That does explain it much better! If you can go over the concepts he's learning at home, either with you or a tutor then keep him where he is doing well.

Something that might help you (it does me): my sister is dyslexic. Once she was complaining to my mom about how unfair it was that she had to do so much more work than other kids. My mom listened to her calmly, told her she understood, but then very matter of factly said, "Well, if that's what you have to do, then that's what you have to do." There's something about the "No Whining, just do it." that helps me through.