Saturday, November 18, 2006

Primary Program Stress

I'm stressing! AAAAAAAAAH! I know everything will be fine, but I can't help myself...I'm a worrier! Our Primary Program is tomorrow! We had our usual Saturday practice today and it was a nightmare! (Isn't there a saying somewhere that if the practices are horrible, the actual performance will be magnificent?? If not, then I'm going to assume there is one, otherwise, we have NO hope!)
All night long I dreamed of the program. The different things that I have to do for it, the things that could go wrong, the things that my imagination thinks could go wrong (but most likely WON'T go wrong) and waking up every few minutes to see if it's actually time to wake up and get ready.
What is WRONG with me? I NEVER stress over the program like this! NEVER! And I've been a Primary chorister for as long as I've been married (practically!) After SEVEN separate programs you'd THINK I'd have a brilliant system worked out, but each year the kids are different, and respond to different things. For example: My first year as a chorister I got the kids to stand up for the songs by making my fingers wiggle (making them move to the front of their chairs) and then slowly raising my arms up for them to stand. For the most part, that system worked...so I used it every year, including this one! But now I'm stressing, because it's NOT working anymore! I'm going to find SOMETHING else NEXT year, but for now, it's TOO late! Someone suggested using flags. I can just imagine me being a kid-air traffic-controller! "Right this way...no, that aisle is filled, you have to use the OTHER one..."
Then our Primary Prez put me in charge of our Follow the Prophet song. The kids I have singing the verses DON'T know their verses!! So they have my little cheat-sheet with the words in front of them...and it looks DUMB! SO, as a solution, I'm printing off the words (HUGE) and I'm going to hold up the words for them. Hopefully this will all work out. I'm just stressing over the little things (which is my normal type of stress) and I know I shouldn't. The program is GREAT every year, and hey, this year the kids know ALL of the songs! *patting myself on the back*
On top of the program stress, I've been making little gold medals for the kids all week. At first I was going to use the metal lids off of frozen concentrated juice, but I didn't get enough lids...so I figured I'd just glue ribbon to chocolate gold coins. Then I didn't want to wait for the glue to dry, so I bought tape. I've been cutting, taping, and putting those things together forever! I hope it goes over well!
Until noon tomorrow I'm going to have this stress, but after that...it's all going to be GRAVY! I can't wait!

6 comments:

Amanda said...

Good luck on your program! I am sure it will go great. Don't forget to breathe!

Anonymous said...

Your program sounds so fun! And the gold medals are a brilliant idea. I can't wait to hear the follow up when you gush about how great the kids were and how well they remembered the songs.

Break a leg!

Millie said...

They're going to sound great - good luck today!

Happy Thanksgiving!

CareBearMommy said...

I am sooo glad that my Primary program was last week.... and I wasn't even the chorister. Still, playing the piano, as you read in my post, can have its blunders.

I wish you the best. I didn't realize you've been a Primary chorister for so long. Weren't you a Primary teacher to start out with in this ward? BTW... if the kids in your Primary are anything like the kids in mine, they'll love the chocolate medal medallion thingies. Good luck, and I hope all goes well! I'm sure you'll do just great!

Anonymous said...

I hope it went well!

Melzie said...

I'm sure it was fabulous!! :) I can't wait to hear all about it! :)