Thursday, June 01, 2006

My Week of Summer...

To me, Memorial Day is the START of summer. I don't care what the calendar says....Summer starts when school is officially out and I've been camping. (Granted, camping this year felt more like winter, but I was still outdoors and in a tent!)
Coming home from camping on Monday, I was worn out and I brought everything into my house and just left it on the floor. I was too tired to really care about it, so it stayed there until Wednesday.
Tuesday I had really forgotten that Cam STILL had therapy, so I almost missed it. We also had to get my wedding ring inspected to keep my warranty up to date and while we were there we decided to get Steve the wedding ring of his dreams! (We won't be getting it for a while, but hopefully before our next anniversary we'll have it paid off and on his finger!) That day I also had the little munchkin I usually babysit and kept her for most of the day while her parents did their running around.
Yesterday was the day I needed to motivate myself for. I actually put most of the stuff from camping away and began my regular cleaning routine. (Laundry, dishes, vacuuming...) So after sleeping in, I hurried and cleaned my house and was able to relax in a more comfortable environment. YAY for motivation!
Today I was able to sleep in again, like I have been all week, and I realized that I won't be able to have this luxury again until next Tuesday. Because, starting tomorrow, Cam will be going to the Learning Center, where he'll be that extra boost he needs for his school work. He'll be there for most of the day. I won't be able to drive him there, so he'll be picked up by a local transportation company (they really aren't the best, but until I get motivated for that change it'll be the same company.) The company is okay, I mean, they get him to the appointments he needs to be to, but they complain to me about the therapist and then I turn around and get complaints from the therapist about them. I'm stuck in the middle without any REAL ability to change either one. It just gets aggravating. The transportation company complains that the therapist isn't ready for them to just drop my son off and allow them to take other kids to their appointments, and the therapist complains that they are very brusk and impatient while he gets one client off before leaving Cam with him. There's nothing I can really do about it, but they both complain to me! WORK IT OUT BETWEEN YOURSELVES!! I CAN'T CONTROL EITHER ONE OF YOU! *whew* Okay, now I feel better!
At the Learning Center, Cam will be working on his therapy goals and interacting with other kids. I'm really excited for him to start, so he'll get the support he needs, but I'm not so excited about the alone time I'll have. Sure, it'll give me time to do the chores I KNOW I should do, but I won't have that little voice following me around the house saying things like, "Mama, I'm hungry." "Mama, can I watch Looney Tunes?" "Mama, can we go somewhere?" As much as I complain about Cam's whining I know when it's gone I'll miss it! I just need to remind myself that going to the Learning Center is good for him! (My mantra for the next while will be: "It's good for him...it's good for him...it's good for him...")
Sleeping in this week reminded me of summers gone by when I didn't have anyone else to worry about and could do what I wanted. Man, was I really that selfish? I guess I've just been too spoiled. So much for those lazy summer days...now we have a schedule. Cam will be starting summer school on Monday and will go again on Wednesday (his only days!) then on Tuesdays and Thursdays he'll have therapy and then his one possible day off, Friday, is now filled with days at the Learning Center. Am I making his life too busy? The poor kid is only 5 and has already been in preschool for 3 years. Now he'll be starting Kindergarten in the fall and won't be done with school until he graduates from high school. I don't want to think about that! Happy times....he's still a kid and loves to play with his cars and still needs his mama!

4 comments:

Diana Mancuso said...

Ahhhh, sleeping in. I long for the day that I'll be able to do that again...

Have fun at the Learning Centre, Cam!

Mall Worker said...

Sleeping in, oh, how I miss you! The best of life's simple pleasures is not having to get up before 9!

Anonymous said...

ode to a better sheet...

Oh those soft cotton sheets ... during the hours of darkness they seem like ordinary cotton sheets ... but in the morning ... after 9...they turn to satin...Oh how I long for satin feeling cotton sheets!

AND...sad about those transportation people...all you can do is do your best to do your part, and then move on!

and...Good luck to Cam with all the scheduled time he has!!

Blackeyedsue said...

Did someone say "sleeping in"? What is that?

And seriously? That snow? C.R.A.Z.Y.!!!!