Wednesday, March 12, 2008

So Glad for Teachers

Today was our normal Wednesday at Scouts. The boys were rowdy, and obnoxious, but thankfully, my partner, a former first grade teacher, has control. She's so good. I know she feels like the boys don't like her, but you know, I have a sneaking suspicion that they really do like her.
She comes up with the best games and the most fun activities for them. I feel like such a slug when I'm around her. (Gosh, I guess I AM a slug around her!)
On the way back to the Primary room from playing in the gym, one boy, the usual ring-leader, acted like he was going to ring the bell. The bell at church rings all throughout the building and can be very obnoxious. The other leader has warned them over and over about the consequences of ringing the bell. (Sitting like bumps on a log in the Primary room doing NOTHING!) I told him not to ring the bell, he begged, "PLEASE!? If you let me, I'll like you more!" I then told him that he could hate me all he wanted...to which he told me that he would! (Then he giggled....I'm not too worried about a 9 year old hating me!)
I'm just very grateful for the training that teachers get, and wish that there was a way for me to get all of that training without going through all of that schooling! :P

3 comments:

Mattsmom said...

*chuckle* *giggle*

I am glad you didn't fall for the old "I'll like you better if you let me (insert here)" trick! Those boys must be such a handful!

You ROCK! I may have crawled under one if it were my calling...but you seem to be conquering that rock one small pebble at a time. Okay I am waxing philosophical and I am NOT good with philosophy!

Elena said...

Oh, those rotten boys. I can't believe how naughty they are at scouts! Just think of all the learning you'll gain from seeing Katie in action. I watched her Sunday with a few of the 5 year olds and was VERY impressed.

Kim said...

I can't believe how "rotten" these boys seem to be acting, although having helped my mom out many times when she was a scout leader, I"ve seen my share of bratty young boys. Your scout partner seems pretty cool. I'm not sure how much different the classes are for elementary teachers compared to secondary ones, but I think the best training you can get is to just have experience. I learn something new everyday about dealing with the kids I deal with. I think the most important is that you can be nice to kids, but you are a leader for them, not a friend and it's important that they know you will still punish them if they misbehave, no matter how much you care about them.