Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Being a Mom to my Mom

I didn't think it would come this soon, but I've been doing all sorts of things for my mom since her surgery on Thursday. Not that I'm doing a lot, but it's been quite an eye-opening experience. The poor lady is just miserably sick. She can't hardly eat or drink, everything she DOES manage to get down just doesn't taste. On top of this she's been stuck inside her house since Thursday, with little more company than her television and her dogs.
It's weird for me to see my mom this way. She's always been such a strong example to me of strength in being who you are. Maybe I don't remember her being this sick before, but it's hard to see her this way.
On Thursday she was so drugged up that she didn't even seem like herself. (Later she realized that two of the three drugs prescribed for her contained 7% alcohol, really making her loopy!)
Cam worries about her constantly!! She fell asleep in her chair the night after her surgery and her mouth was drooped open (since the poor lady couldn't breathe through her nose) and was snoring slightly. My son, the child who asks very blunt questions said, "Mama, is she dead?!"
I calmed him by saying that she was just sleeping, but I couldn't help but giggle.
Today, for the first time since having her tonsils taken out, I saw her actually CHEW some food. Honestly, it was like witnessing a miracle! It seems like she'll be sick forever, but I know that it's only temporary. I just hope I can help her out as much as she's been a help to me in my life!

6 comments:

Elena said...

Oh yucky, I hear that's a hard surgery the older you get. Hopefully it will all be worth it in the end.

Mattsmom said...

I feel a little guilty...but Craig and I are laughing at Cam's question. It is a good thing she was snoring a little...so you didn't have to take her pulse for him!

I hope she gets feeling better soon!

Rachelle said...

You are such a good daughter!

Dawnyel said...

Mattsmom....can I call you by your real name now?? ;)
Uh, yeah, don't feel guilty about laughing...I've been doing it since he asked!!

Mattsmom said...

I am still mattsmom...Mattsmom is a good name right?

Dawnyel said...

As you wish! ;)