Thursday, January 17, 2008

I Just Don't Get It

Last spring, before school got out, we requested that Cameron be tested for in school speech therapy. (He's been getting community speech therapy for YEARS, and we figured the more the better.) And they said they'd get RIGHT on it.
Fast forward to Tuesday. I get a call from Cameron's teacher. She tells me that the speech therapist has FINALLY finished Cameron's testing and we need to set up a meeting for adding an amendment to his IEP.
NEARLY EIGHT MONTHS!! What is that speech therapist doing, asking him ONE word per session?? Sheesh!!
But I guess I shouldn't complain, I mean, it's done, and I'm pretty sure if there's an amendment meeting, then it's a sign that he's going to be GETTING the therapy. But taking 8 months?? Seems a LITTLE ridiculous to me.
On top of this frustration, we had to reschedule the initial meeting, because Mrs. Principal (whom I despise) couldn't make it at that time. Uh, did we REALLY need her there?? All I've EVER had from her is frustration.
The first time I had EVER met the woman, she showed up 30 minutes late to the meeting, in the middle of our conversation (on which EVERYONE was in agreement) and insisted that we do something else, because she only heard PART of the conversation.
Thanks, but NO thanks, woman. I know what my son needs, and it isn't you!!

5 comments:

CareBearMommy said...

Grrr! I hate IEP meetings (especially when you have to drag along the younger siblings, so just you wait!)... and you know, the principal is there only out of formality's sake. I hope your meeting goes well, and that your interaction with Mrs. Principal is minimal.

Melzie said...

I'm keeping my mouth shut.

:)

But, I'm on the other end of what you are... when I'm on your end-- I'm much more vocal.

But, remember, summer was in there-- and this year... well, our person has 3 school districts they go to... so.....

Good luck with the principal!!! N's is the same, *ICKY*

Elena said...

Stick to your momma-bear guns!! Take care of your kid. Afterall your tax dollars are paying Mrs Principal's salary. :)

One Scrappy Gal said...

My son is going to be evaluated by the speech therapist this coming Friday. I hope it goes well. Not sure what's going to happen with a 2 and a half year old...

Sketchy said...

Our district is slow with the testing too. It makes me nutty. But after the testing they've been great so I bite my tongue. The first school district we were in was bad with the testing and the therapy, so I'll take this I suppose.

Thus far my 4th has been smooth sailing, so here's hoping that I'll have one without special needs. That would be nice.