Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Wacky Wednesday

Scouts was cancelled today.
I had everything ALL squared away, and then the weather didn't cooperate. It rained quite steadily all day long. I had planned to meet at the park across the street from our church building, but with the wet weather, it was a bad idea.
I had HOPED to get inside if we couldn't play at the park, but NO one has a key!! (Well, I lied, there are the chosen few who have a key, but I'm not one of the few, and neither is my primary President.) I hope that my former partner hasn't moved YET, and that before she goes away permanently she passes on her little tools of the trade, including the KEY to the building. *sigh* Until she comes back from her house-hunting endeavor, I'll not know WHAT her plans are!
On a happy note, Cameron and I baked some cookies today. Not a whole TON, but quite a few for the three of us. I think Cam ended up eating 12 before I stopped him and sent the kid to bed, but he had fun.
Whenever I make a fun treat, I have to stow it away in my bedroom, or when Cameron wakes up (WAY before I'm ready...) he'll eat anything within reach! If it's in my room he can't get it! :)
I don't think Cam will be doing summer school this year, they've already started and I didn't hear ANYTHING from ANYONE! So I've decided to have the boy do a worksheet a day. So far, it's NOT going well. He gets SUPER frustrated whenever he has to work with letter sounds. He had a worksheet today where he had to look at the picture and fill in the missing letters, and he only got through 6 before breaking down with frustration. He took the paper and the pencil and THREW them at the wall while storming up the stairs yelling at me.
Am I a bad teacher, or is there anything else I can do to ease his frustration?? I reminded him of something they talked about on Blue's Clues last week. According to that show, whenever you get frustrated you: Stop, take a deep breath and think. After I reminded him he did that, but then got frustrated again the very next minute. It's hard to have a child that is SO frustrated and be unable to help or soothe their aches!

4 comments:

Elena said...

I have the BEST video for helping kids learn their letter sounds. My kids LOVE it and even Carter knows his sounds. It's called The Letter Factory by Leap Frog and my kids will watch it 100 times without getting bored. You should totally get it or borrow mine to see if it would work for Cam.

Melzie said...

For me, I can not teach my son. I don't know what it is- but I have way less patience for him than I do for others. I expect more from him. But I know I'm not alone in this. It's been a topic of conversation with soem of us here. Good luck, it'll get better-- and I'm sure others can help you more, LOL!

Anonymous said...

Actually I have heard of that Leap Frog video...every person that has used it SWEARS by it. I think it is rather spendy though. But it might be worth the money for the summer.

Elena said...

Actually the video isn't priced too bad, I only spent about $12 at Walmart. Well worth the money...