Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Memorial Day Weekend and Steve's Birthday

Camping was WONDERFUL! It barely (and I do mean barely) rained on Sunday night for a few minutes, then a few minutes later, then a few minutes later....just real spotty, but nothing big or bad!
I did my share of driving the 4-wheeler over the weekend. Cam's new thing was to find me and say, "Mama, I gotta go to the potty." I'd then tell him to pee on a tree (yeah, I know...real encouraging.) Then he'd say, "NO, Mama!! I gotta go to the hou-house!" That was his way of getting rides on the 4-wheeler. It was quite fun! I even took him for his OWN ride later on Saturday. He loved it. I made the boy wear a helmet, and I wore one. Steering while having a little kid bonk you in the face with a helmet isn't the "fun" I had hoped for, but we did have a good time. The roads were VERY dusty (from lack of rain) and so we couldn't go very fast without clouds of dust flying EVERYWHERE!
Then I even took a ride on my own. I found a BEAUTIFUL spot and couldn't help but kneel in a prayer of gratitude for this beautiful world. That was one of the BEST moments of the weekend.
I did have a screaming match with Cameron on Sunday night. The kid was ornery and tired, and was having TOO much fun to sleep. I dragged him into the tent to change him into his jammies, and in the process he pitched a fit and screamed worse than I had EVER heard him. The one thing that just irked me, was his attitude with me. He yelled, IN my face, "I don't wanna be camping, NO MORE!!" And then he THREW himself on his bed. I yelled back (Yeah, I'm not good with fits yet...) "That's FINE! We're going home tomorrow..." To which he promptly screamed, "NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!" Yeah, fun times....can't wait until those wonderful teen-years come....
I felt really gross by the end of the trip though. I felt like I had been caked with dust. My hair had changed color...to a sandy blondish-brown. (GROSS!)
We did have a few not-so-good things come up: the night before we left for camping I had closed (not SLAMMED!) my driver's side door, and the glass part of my mirror fell out and shattered on my street. NICE! :S So the next day we drove all over town to find a replacement before we could go camping. Luckily, we went to a local glass store and found a replacement.
And my parents, who had just gotten their trailer back from the repair shop a month ago, went to the tire shop to check the tires. The tires on one side were cracked pretty badly, so they had to wait for a few hours for the tire shop to replace the tires. They told my parents that one tire was fine, and they didn't replace it. Well, once my parents DID leave town, the tire that was "fine" completely blew out! BOOM! So they had to stop and change THAT tire. In the end we all got safely to our campsite before dark. But where we camped it doesn't get dark until after 9:00! Yeah, good thing we had all planned on leaving Friday MORNING!! *snickering*
Then Steve and I had a great time at the hotel last night. I don't really know if it was all WORTH the $200 we spent on it, but it was fun to get away from the whiny child, and just be a couple again! :)

6 comments:

Lana said...

sounds like so much fun!

One Scrappy Gal said...

Welcome back to the land of showers!! Glad to hear you had a good time. :)

Melzie said...

Gotta have drama on camping trips! LOL! :)

Anne/kq said...

Never heard of taking a 4-wheeler on a camping trip, but glad you had fun!

Suzanne said...

How fun that you got to take a 4-wheeler camping! That's nice you didn't get rained out. We always expect at least one tantrum from the kids on camping trips. They just come so naturally! How fun that you had a romantic night away with your hubby! ;)

CareBearMommy said...

All in all, minus the mirror, the tires, and the tantrum, it sounds like you had a pretty fun weekend. And I'm glad you had fun at the hotel, even if it WASN'T worth the $200. ANYwho, I look forward to reading your blogs again now that you're back and (hopefully) in one piece!