Sunday, March 18, 2007

Blessings in Disguise

I feel blessed, but in a round-about way.
For the last week or so, Steve has had a NASTY cough. It sounds like he's going to hack up a lung or something. It's been bad, but we thought it was just another cold, and that eventually he'd get over it. Well, time went on and it just seemed to get worse. PLUS he would be fevered and get clammy and just not feel good.
So yesterday, after I got back from Cam's Primary activity (which I'll have to tell about another time...) he was still feeling pretty icky, and his shift at work had been moved. So we decided, it's time to bite the bullet and go see a doctor.
We took him to a local urgent care center, and waited...and waited....and waited. Finally, they took us back to a room where we waited some MORE! (We were there for about an hour and a half.) Anyway, in that time they did a test for flu, a chest x-ray, and a blood draw. In the end they determined that the man has pneumonia. That's NOT what we had expected!
Luckily, the Physician's Assistant that was there told us that there is a study that a local doctor is doing ON pneumonia, and if we were interested, they'd sign us up for it. The study would totally cover any doctors visits, medications, and would even PAY US! We were ALL for that, so we waited while the PA got a hold of the doctor in charge of the study.
He sent us on our way, x-rays in hand and a lighter heart! (The main reason we'd put off going to the doctor was the cost of it....but with this study, we didn't have that worry any more!)
The doctor greeted us and started everything going. Steve will be taking a drug (we don't know which one) either a new one being tested, or the old tried-and-true method. He'll be getting x-rays, blood draws, and some EKGs. It's all pretty interesting.
The only thing I'm REALLY worried about now is how he can keep his cool when he gets his blood drawn. The man CANNOT handle needles of ANY kind!! He literally sweats bullets!! (Well, not "bullet" bullets...but his sweating is pretty BAD!) And I had to hold him down for 2 of the draws yesterday. He needed me to lean on! I just hope he'll get used to these tests, and not worry about them so much! (Both I and the lady who took his blood commented on how it's a good thing HE'S not the one who has to have babies!!)
I had been worried about him all week. His coughing was keeping him awake at night, but since he's so thoughtful, he'd leave the room so I could sleep. But now, I'm so much happier!! I know he'll be getting better soon! And I know that if anything, Heavenly Father was watching out for my small family! I'm so blessed!

5 comments:

CareBearMommy said...

Wow... that IS a mixed blessing. It's a bummer that Steve's so sick, but nice that you won't have to pay for his treatment. Plus, a little extra money is always nice. So, does he just participate until he's better, or do they have follow-ups as well? I hope he gets over the pneumonia soon. Being sick SUCKS! I just have a plain ol' head cold now, and it's about knocked me flat.

Suzanne said...

That's too bad he has pneumonia! That's some scary stuff. Hopefully the medication will start to work quickly and he'll have some relief! That's nice that you can participate in the study! :)

Millie said...

I'm glad the cost was taken away - that really helps. Hope the medicine works and Steve's feeling better soon!

Anonymous said...

That is great...of course I am not saying that Steve being SUPER sick is a blessing...but if you're gonna get that sick, at least you don't have to worry about the finances!

To steve: Get well soon Steve...and good luck with the blood draws! Those vampires are really out to help you...regaurdless of what you may think! I hate needles too!

Mama D said...

This definitely makes me appreciate living in Canada! I'm glad you could take part in this study and that he'll be getting better soon!