Thursday, February 01, 2007

My Own Personal Lecture

Lately I've been pondering some things in life. One day, earlier this week, I had a meltdown. It was NOT fun. I just got to feeling pretty sorry for myself, which is pretty ridiculous! I have so much in my life, and I shouldn't be feeling that way...EVER! Then I opened an email that had such a beautiful message I just stopped. It was exactly what I've been needing to hear! So I thought I'd share it with all of you...or maybe just to reinforce it in my own head again!
"Along your pathway of life you will observe that you are not the only traveler. There are others who need your help. There are feet to steady, hands to grasp, minds to encourage, hearts to inspire, and souls to save."--Thomas S. Monson
Why wallow in our own pity...we should be helping others who are lost or need help. I know I mentioned a better resolve to do this, but I've been neglecting it. We're never alone on the path we travel. There are others who have been where we are, who know what we're going through, and there are those we can help. We need to reach out. Not stay in our own little bubbles.
**********************************
Okay, now that I'm finished with my own little lecture....
I've also been listening over and over and over to the soundtrack from the Broadway musical "Wicked." I'm SO in love with this music, and the story. Just hearing the music makes me imagine how the play would look (if I were the director and had the ultimate budget!)
In this play it tells the story of the Wicked Witch of the West from the Wizard of Oz. Her story about growing up different and why she "turned" wicked. I've been so obsessive over this play that I've looked up all sorts of things online about it. (I've even read the spoiler pages...I really am obsessive!) Now my only thing is to actually SEE the play! If it ever gets anywhere NEAR my hometown I'm there! When I listen to the songs I think about how I could apply them in real life. There's one part of the first song where Glinda asks the munchkins, "Is anyone born truly wicked, or is wickedness thrust upon them?" Then she goes on to tell them the story of how this poor green girl grew up. It's a good message about not judging others before knowing their full situation! LOVE IT!

5 comments:

Amanda said...

I love that quote from President Monson. Thanks for sharing. It is a great reminder to us all to stop wallowing in our own self pity and look around us to help others. I could give myself the same lecture!

I would love to see Wicked too. It looks so interesting.

Carrot Jello said...

I saw Wicked in October. I laughed, I cried. It was wonderful! I hope you get to see it one day.

CareBearMommy said...

That's a good lecture I need to be giving myself. I love that quote by President Monson.

You now have me curious about "Wicked." It sounds good. Your little blip on it was good advertising.

BTW... I enjoyed talking to you on the phone today for a whoppin' 100 minutes. It was nice just to shoot the breeze and talk about anything, everything, and nothing! Thanks... I needed it.

Sketchy said...

Thank you for the lecture! :)

I'm on the fence about the play, the book while parts were good, parts were smutty...so I sort of figured the play would be the same. Now maybe I'll check it out again.

Anne/kq said...

I love the book Wicked but I have never seen the play or heard the music. I also like the other book by him (which I actually read first), Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister. It's a retelling of "Cinderella", like Wicked is a retelling of The Wizard of Oz.