Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Not Skipping Out=Me Blessed!

We had Stake Conference this weekend. And it was marvelous! I've never really enjoyed a conference more. (That's pretty sad...I should enjoy ALL of my meetings like this!)
The visiting General Authority was so fun and very educational. Elder William Walker was SO wonderful to be around. First off, he was very complimentary of our choir (of which I was a member!) then on Saturday night he excused us to sit in the congregation, so we didn't have to spend the meeting looking at the back of his head. Since most of the chapel was filled Steve and I ended up on the front row...squished in like sardines.
We really laughed at some of his comments, and thought hard at others. He told some amazing stories about where he came from, people he's met along the way, and some other special things. It was so nice!
Then the next day he gave the same sort of talk! The thing that I thought was funniest was he complimented our Stake President on his "prepared" talks. Then he challenged him to give an impromptu talk sometime. We all giggled at that!
During Sunday's conference, he had our choir sing our Saturday night song, Jesus Once of Humble Birth, again. I was crying so hard that I didn't really make it through the song. Our choir director is an amazing man! He'll mark up EVERYONE'S music...with where to breathe, how to say the words, how to sing diphthongs, EVERYTHING you could think of. Then he works us over and over on those songs, making us use mental imagery to make our tones better. He was having us sing the songs like velvet or chocolate. Can you imagine how beautiful velvet sounds?? It was nice!
Then we sang the other songs, Lead Kindly Light and Have I Done Any Good?, and they were just SO beautiful! Elder Walker kept saying (both Saturday and Sunday) that he's never heard a stake choir sing like we did.
He did more than just compliment us though. He told us to keep our pioneer heritage alive in our families, to have good music in our homes, to serve others, be an example of Jesus always, and he gave the husbands some Valentines' advice (I took the advice too): "Love your wives with all your hearts." He told us that there are only two places in the scriptures where the Lord tells us to love with "all our hearts." The first is to love God, the second is to love our wives (spouses.) All in all I was so spiritually fed and was grateful to have been there. There were times, years ago, when I would have just skipped out on Stake Conference, thinking that I don't really NEED to go. Now that I'm older, and maybe a bit wiser, I know that this meeting is just as important as our other meetings! So glad I didn't skip out!
That night as Steve and I were at home, just basking in the wonderful advice we had been given, we got a phone call from a member of our bishopric. Steve just got a new calling LAST month...so we knew it was for me. I have mixed feelings. I was (yes, notice the word "was") one of our ward's primary choristers. I had just put all of my papers together for the next YEAR. I was so organized, and SO excited for the songs for this year! But, as you can expect, I got released. I won't put up what my new calling is yet...I haven't been sustained yet. But if you want, we can play a guessing game (for the ONE person I actually told...you can't guess!) I'm nervous about this new calling, but excited too.
My Sunday was very filled and very wonderful. I don't get days like that very often, so when they come around I should enjoy them...right!? :)

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I use to feel the same way about Stake Conference...and even General Conference sometimes as well...but now I realize that those ar3 actually some of the MOST important meetings of the year! They are the meetings where we get to be fed spiritually by our leaders on a level that no ordinary sacriment service could give us! I am glad you got such a treat this week!

I will not attempt to guess what your new calling is...but I will venture that it is not in the primary, otherwise you wouldn't be so nervous! I am thinking...cub scout den mother! Mostly because I think you would be a fun den mom!

Blackeyedsue said...

What a good day! It sounds like you heard what you needed to hear.

I am going to guess Young Women's secretary. You would be fun to have in there.

By the way, diphthong is one of my favorite words to say.

Anne/kq said...

I keep meaning to blog about our SC, also this past weekend, but not getting to it... There's just too much to write! We had Brother Dalton AND Elder Packer at our Stake Conference, and our new convert speaker and Stake Pres. both also gave awesome talks. And we made Bro. Dalton cry with our song. And not 'cause we were flat. ;) :D (Not, apparently, that that's exceedingly hard to do.)

Sketchy said...

What a great meeting. I really struggle with S.C. 4 kids and no breaks! We have been known to skip it more than we should (which is never I suppose!), so this is advice I need!

Lets see guessing: Gospel Doctrine teacher. Whatever it is I'm sure you'll be great and the new chorister will probably be just as nervous and will so appreciate all your organization!

Suzanne said...

How wonderful that you got such a great experience! It's hard with kids to feel the Spirit sometimes because they're so wiggly, but every once in awhile it happens and it's so nice.

We had our Stake Conference last Sunday too and it was also wonderful!

Hmm...I am going to guess that your new calling is Sacrament Chorister. I had that calling once and it made me nervous standing in front of all of those people.

Melzie said...

Relief Society president! :) *giggle*

Okay, but my real guess-- in the relief society- maybe a teacher?

CareBearMommy said...

I'm glad that you enjoyed your stake conference. We had ours a few weeks ago, but I just couldn't muster up the courage to go with a terrible two and a newborn. Jasmine would have behaved, though.

I won't throw in a guess as to what your new calling is, cuz you already told me. Congrats! You'll do a great job, I'm sure!

And I'm an air-head... I forgot what in the heck a dipthong is!

nikko said...

Sounds like a great meeting.

Can't wait to hear what your new calling is. New callings are always so exciting/nervousing!