Monday, January 15, 2007

Destructo Boy

My son is destroying EVERYTHING we have. I feel like saying one of my mom's favorite quotes, "We can't have ANYTHING nice!"
Here's just a few of the things that I've nearly throttled the boy for in the past few days:
  • Coloring on the wall. Yes, the marker is STILL there. I just bought new Mr. Clean Erasers though, so they should be gone soon.
  • Pulling his hair out of his head. He's been yanking big chunks of hair out of his head. I just want to show him a magic mirror of his future self: bald! He has a bald spot on his head in the same place he had one when he chopped his hair off.
  • Messing with our computer. I was watching baby J the other day when Cam came SCREAMING down the stairs. He started saying, "Not my fault...not my fault..." over and over. I hurried upstairs, fearing he'd pulled the TV over, or something REALLY bad, but he'd just turned on my speakers for my computer: FULL BLAST! The noise scared him pretty bad, but not enough to stop messing with the computer. He's mixed up our desktop and moved all sorts of stuff around.
  • Microwaving tubes of Gogurt. YES! It exploded! I was going downstairs yesterday, Cam caught me at the top of the stairs, wrapped his arms around my legs, and asked me where I was going. This was my FIRST hint that something was wrong. I told him, "Downstairs, why?" He looked at me and said, "Don't look in the microwave."
  • Breaking my universal remote for the downstairs television, and DVD/VCR. I LOVE this remote (okay, so I should LOVE my son too) and when I woke up this morning, Cam hands me the remote, broken open. I snapped it back together, but it STILL didn't work. I drove all over town today trying to find a replacement remote, but settled with another kind. Came home, and decided to check the batteries on the other remote. Ah, just dead batteries, but STILL! I asked Cam what happened to the remote, and he told me he threw it on the ground because, "it was throwing a fit." SURE! It was the REMOTE throwing the fit....

He's been on a rampage, and I've been torn over what to do with the kid. On one hand, he's been very HONEST when we ask him what he's done, on the other, he's destroying things! I guess this all goes back to that curse my mother put on me when I was younger! *sigh*

9 comments:

Mama D said...

This seems like a glimpse of our future.

I hope he gets over this destructive phase soon. So soon you'll forget all about it!

Anonymous said...

Poor mama! I am sure that Matthew will hit a destructive phase soon...I hope not...and I am knocking on anything wood I can reach...but I do expect it. I just hope that you can get through all of this without doing anything drastic. Good luck!

Melzie said...

I have no advice... really.. :( But I know some are going to have great ideas for you! ABout his hair-- you'd think it would hurt so he wouldn't do it!

Gina said...

First of all, the line,
"We can't have ANYTHING nice!" made me laugh out loud! It's so true when you have a husband OR another young child living with you!

I hope you can figure out a deal that can be made with your personal tornado. My son is already starting to ruin things... I am in for it!

Mel said...

His honesty is a good thing! :)

Sketchy said...

Darn Mother voodoo!! Loved the "I should love my son" bit too...yeah, I'm relating to that line a little more than is probably healthy for my relationship with my children...

Suzanne said...

I understand your pain!!! I don't know what it is about boys, but I'm beginning to think that I'll never have anything nice either. It's frustrating, but you're right, at least he's honest about it.

Whenever my younger son does something naughty, he'll come and shut the door to divide us and that's when I know he's done something.

I guess we just have to keep hoping that this is something our kids will grow out of eventually. In the meantime, get plenty of Tums! ;)

Mall Worker said...

Well, at least he's being honest about it. Thats a good thing. I hope he gets over it soon. I have no advice to offer :(

nikko said...

Yikes! The volume on the speakers thing cracked me up. P's favorite thing to do while the older boys are watching tv is to go and turn the volume knob (wow! did I just say knob? Our tv is really old!) WAY up and freak them all out and pretty soon I have two cying boys and one sitting on the couch holding his hands over his ears.

Good luck with the rampage!