Saturday, January 13, 2007

Friday...Summed Up

So much to say, so little time, really.
Yesterday I had to drive my husband to work. Now normally, this wouldn't be such a sad, or bad thing. Let me just say: "Five thirty in the MORNING, and negative 31 degrees outside." Not a fun thing...at all! The car was frosted over something fierce, and I had to scrape it with my messy bed-head and then sit in the car, waiting for it to warm up...with the freezing air blowing on my forehead.
After dropping Steve off at work, Cam and I came home...planning on sleeping for an hour and half or so. I set my husband's alarm clock (I don't have one...just him) and set it for the radio to play, so I could find out whether Cam had school or not. I fell asleep, with Cam snoring in my face, and woke up 15 minutes later than I had planned. The volume on the alarm clock had been turned down...to nothing. UGH! So I turned the radio on to hear the dj's say: "Kids in this area are going to be having a 4 day weekend, because most school districts have Monday off too." This was my sign...no school...not for snow, but for FREAKIN' cold weather. Needless to say, Cam was devastated! He whined to me that his teacher had told them that they would have school today, but I had to tell him that they cancelled it. He just didn't get it.
Now that I knew school was off, I had another problem...what to do with my son. See, I had a dentist appointment (the WHOLE reason I had to brave the cold to drive Steve to work in the first place) and I didn't think he'd behave for my appointment. So I called my mom. She's my hero. She said she'd take him, and we chatted a bit about the cold weather. Her new problem was trying to explain a cold-weather, no-school-day to two foreign exchange students. (Yes, she has two again, but only for a short amount of time...Matt is moving out.) Neither one understood this whole phenomena. Jay is from Thailand (cold weather??) and Matt is from Switzerland (cold weather, yes, but not THIS cold.) Either way, they were both seeming to enjoy their time off. Matt even asked if he could go snowboarding....UH, do you want a face when you go home?
Anyway, I hurried and cleaned myself up...actually having CUTE hair for the first time in like a month, and left to run around.
The dentist was not my idea of fun. I haven't had an actual check-up with one since I was eight years old...nearly 2o years now, and I have MAJOR problems. After the hygienist did my x-rays and initial check-up, she told me the damage, and said I'd have to come in ANOTHER day to get it all done. Gee, just what I wanted. So I set up the appointments, and hurried to get Cam.
Once I got to my mom's house, I didn't want to leave. I stayed there until it was time to pick Steve up from work. Once I did that we took a little side-trip. Since it was pay-day, and we've both been looking like Shaggy from Scooby-Doo, we got our hair cut. It was SO nice! Mine turned out shorter than I thought I had wanted, and not quite as cute as it had been in the past, but it's just hair...it will grow...I hope!
Then we picked up Cam, did some shopping for dinner, and then I begged for something I've wanted for about a month now...NEW shoes. I found THE cutest shoes a few weeks ago, but couldn't get them because of money problems. SO I gave Steve those puppy-dog eyes, and he gave in. We went to the store where I had found them to begin with, and they weren't there any more. I was sad, but asked the sales lady if they had any more. She looked up the shoes in the surrounding area, and found them at another store. I was THRILLED! Not only did she hold them for me, but she gave me a discount...the shoes were on sale too! I was so happy. We went and picked up the shoes, and came home for a relaxing evening.
It was a fun, but busy day. I don't think I've done THAT much, in so short a time. (Okay, I have, but not lately!) It just feels good to have my hair cute, and something CUTE on my feet that holds back the snow! YAY!

7 comments:

Kim said...

Yay for new shoes! We both know my fetish there. Boo on colder than cold weather. And icy roads with no 4WD. I miss my Subaru!!! :( pout...

Mall Worker said...

I know what you mean about the cold. Its been freaking cold up here, but its always gets that cold up here this time a year. It just ain't right.

Hurray for new shoes!!

Anonymous said...

YAY for shoes...on sale! I LOVE to buy shoes...hate to wear them most of the time...but I LOVE to buy them!
And...while it is not too fun to deal with a cold day out of school...at least you found out about it before you tried to walk him to the school!
Your post made me remember all of the days we prayed for school to be out when we were kids...I guess Cam is too young to hate school yet!
I sure hope things warm up a bit this week...I dunno how much of this I can take...another week and I think I'll make like a bird and head south for the winter!

One Scrappy Gal said...

Where are the shoes and haircut photos? :)

Glad you had a good day. Two more weeks until the move!

Suzanne said...

How fun! It always makes my day to get a new pair of shoes or to get my hair cut. You got both on the same day so I can imagine how nice that felt!

I can't believe you guys are so cold up there! Down here in Utah, we did hit the negatives, but not like you! It makes me want to hibernate like Amanda! :)

Sketchy said...

Cute hair and new shoes can see you through any problems, at least that's my personal philosophy...

nikko said...

Yay for cute hair and cute shoes!