Monday, January 01, 2007

And the Peas are Down for the Count...

I don't know where the tradition came from, but every New Years' Day for the past few years I've been shoveling black-eyed peas down my throat. WHY!? Well, the answer is clear, my dears, for good luck.
My Grandma Sue added this fine tradition to the family once she married into it. The first year I have to admit...the peas were gross! I only ate them out of courtesy to my Grandma. The next year, the word was out on how bad the peas were, and my step-uncle made them. They were better, but still not my absolute FAVORITE food! This year I purposefully filled my bowl with the minimum amount required.
Grandma Sue is sure to tell everyone to eat their black-eyed peas for luck, and we do.
This new year is off to a pretty good start. Steve had to work the graveyard shift, so I was without kissing-partner at midnight. (Kinda stinky, but I dealt with it.)
Then I slept in this morning. When I finally woke up for the day, I passed Steve on the stairway, smooched the man, then proceeded to undecorate my house. It took me several hours, but I did have a little help...little, as in Cameron. He was so pleased with himself...commenting regularly that he was a "big boy!"
I cleaned and cleaned until the house was back to it's pre-decorated glory. I've actually been pretty OCD over the whole thing: if things didn't look just right, I'd have to REDO it all! The house is now in a state that is satisfying to my mind. Hopefully it will stay satisfying to me for SEVERAL months. I'm one of those people who has to change the furniture around every so often, or I go crazy! Luckily I've found the PERFECT spot to put our enormous entertainment center...so that won't change, but the couches....that's another story!
Now as my black-eyed peas digest I'm pondering actually coming up with some resolutions...and now that I've had time to think about it...I'm NOT going to! Why set myself up for disappointment? I firmly believe that if you want to set goals, then DO it! If you don't plan on sticking with them...then don't set unrealistic expectations for yourself!
There, I've said it...now you can say what you want, but I'm not changing my mind. (My stubborn-side showing through!)

6 comments:

Sketchy said...

I admire your undecorating skills! Mine are still up...it's killing me...s-l-o-w-l-y... My hubby likes them up into the New Year. I want them down by the 27th of December. I think its because my son's birthday is the 29th and I don't like those days touching. Sort of like food on my plate I guess.

And black-eyed peas? Ughhh...I'll take bad luck. Here in Pittsburgh its Pork and Saurkraut, I've been told. I didn't eat either. Of course by New Years Day my diet was limited to Sprite and bread. Is there any luck in that?

Happy 2007!

Suzanne said...

I've never had black-eyed peas before. Hmm...I don't think I'll start any time soon.

I'm like you. I like to rearrange the furniture every few months. It's amazing how good it feels.

Did you make a New Year's Resolution to not make any New Year's Resolutions? ;) Hey, I say do what makes you happy!

Blackeyedsue said...

I like black-eyed peas, however they have to be cooked by someone from the south who actually knows what they are doing.

I totally get the furniture rearranging. I do it ALL of the time. My oldest has started asking me within weeks of moving the furniture when we are going to do it again.

I don't do resolutions either. I am too disappointed three weeks later when I haven't done a thing to work on them. I made a goal to not eat sugar. I did it until 9:00 New Years day. SEE! I have no willpower!

Anonymous said...

hahaha...No black eyed peas for me thank you! I will stick with the traditional family New Years treat of chocolates! (Not that it is really a tradition...but with all of the extra candy left over from the week before it is bound to be present for the New Year every year!

I am not a huge resolution setter either. I do take a moment to reflect on how I might make this year better than the last...but no crazy challenges for me! ESPECIALLY if they would include the eliminating of anything I love...like sugar!

And finally..I too am a big furniture rearranger! I love that feeling...like you have just aquired a new house! I rearranged Matthew's room a few weeks back! It is a bummer that there is really only one wall that our entertainment center can go on, because it serously limits my options in the living room...but reguardless I have big plans for the rest of the house within the next few months!

ENJOY 2007

Lynanne said...

Good thing I've never heard about eating black-eyed peas for luck. :) I don't know that I'd even know one if I saw one.

I share your OCD about post-holiday cleaning. There is just something about start anew and washing away the holiday craziness that's soothing and refreshing.

Anne/kq said...

The black-eyed peas thing is a southern tradition, AFAIK. 'Round here, it's drinking a toast at midnight (right before singing "Auld Lang Syne".) We use Martinelli's sparkling cider, of course.

I have a Chinese friend and you would not believe the list of "lucky" foods and what they represent that they have for every occasion. It's fascinating.