Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Spreading Christmas Joy

I had a wonderful experience last night. Every Monday we have Family Home Evening with my parents, and their ward choir had planned to go carolling last night. We bundled up in warm clothes (I wore a fuzzy hat my mom had made earlier this fall...I looked hilarious!) and we set out for a night of fun. We piled onto a flat-bed trailer covered in straw-bales and colored Christmas lights, learned to turn pages with gloved fingers, and set off.
Our first destination was a care center for older people. I had visited this place many times as a teen and always wanted to hurry from there as soon as I could. Last night with the cold air freezing our noses and cheeks I was anxious for a respite from the night air. When we went inside those doors the warm air was heavenly, although the smell was otherwise. We found out that there were two hallways that we could go singing in, and set off. The first song we sang was Silent Night. It was so beautiful hearing that song sung in a quiet part of the building on a crisp winter night. As we walked down the hall and peeked into the rooms we saw few faces, but the ones we DID see were smiling and full of Christmas cheer. One sweet old lady waved at everyone who passed her door.
In the next hallway the smell was worse, but we sang anyway. This hallway was home to the Alzheimer patients. One man came out of his room and watched us sing. His face was that of a little child. It was such a sweet spirit that surrounded him, and I was humbled to be bringing him such joy! As we left I had a happy feeling, I didn't think it could get any better.
The next place we ventured was some senior apartments that has many widows and widowers. We rang doorbells and spread out singing our songs along the way. The faces there were just as precious and filled with as much joy as the previous place. One sweet woman stood outside her door in the cold clapping her hands to the song.
After that we just drove through my parents' neighborhood singing and laughing. It was so much fun, and just brought that Christmas feeling even closer to my heart.
My dear friend Carrie has won my game AGAIN! Like I said, she's SUPERWOMAN! The answer was Oh Little Town of Bethlehem (again!) When we played this game at the party we wondered if they put the same carols in more than once, and they had, so this was the LAST double of the game, if anyone is even keeping track!
Here's the song of the day, I'm so tired of typing up the rules, I'm just not going to! (Call it lazy if you must, because it is!)
Song:
Our fervent hope is that you thoroughly enjoy your yuletide season
Good luck!

8 comments:

Mojo Jojo said...

I think you guys did something really nice (besides having to smell all this).

Something I miss doing for older people...but guess that comes along with moving.

Rachelle said...

Guessing (probably wrong) is We Wish You a Merry Christmas.

CareBearMommy said...

Raachelle beat me to it... We Wish You a Merry Christmas!

I know which care center and apartments you're talking about. (I felt the same way when visiting them while growing up). I'm glad that your caroling experience was such a wonderful one.

CareBearMommy said...

AND TELL ME ABOUT THE ICE CUBE, DANGIT!

Kim said...

I'm glad that you had such an awesome night. We both know about my experiences going to nursing homes and I admire you for being able to go and spend time around the elderly, especially the Alzheimer's wing. Every time I go into a nursing home now, I can hardly stay because of the nausea of memories that cover me. But I'm SO GLAD that you had a good experience. And to let you know, I'm being a little less Scroogie than usual...I've listend to the Polar Express soundtrack about 10 times during the last 3 days and cry every time I hear "When Christmas Comes to Town"!

Melzie said...

I love caroling... no one is doing it here... and Nathan & I solo would be okay, but... not so much. Can I come caroling with you next time?! Please?

Dawnyel said...

Mojo Jojo: Moving can be fun...if you do it! (I usually don't!)

Carrie: Actually, the apartments are different...not the ones NEXT door to the care center...these ones are BEHIND it. But yeah, you pretty much know what I'm talking about!
And about the ice cube....I may, or may NOT tell you! :P

Kim: Everytime I go to a place like that I think of you. I can't wait to gab with you! :)

Mel: Come anytime you want! It'll be a ball! (I just don't know about the long drive...may be a tad tiring!) :)

Anonymous said...

Good for you and your family...and their ward choir! I don't think that our ward does anything like that anymore... although the youth did go up and down the streets singing one night. I too know of the place that you went to. My Great Grandma spent a little time there...and it does smell REALLY bad. I too love to see the faces of those who are somewhat past their prime when caroling comes around!