Saturday, December 09, 2006

A Meme? We Got No Time for a MEME!

"Early Reading" Meme. Suzanne tagged me a few days ago, but with the whole computer drama, I got a bit side-tracked! Sorry! So, here it is...a few days later! :)
1. How old were you when you learned to read and who taught you?
I know this is going to sound like bragging, but I was a very early, very quick reader. I could read small books before I was in Kindergarten. I think that’s why when I work with Cameron on his reading it’s so hard for me. I could read and write when I was 3. My mom would give me paper and I’d demand to know how to spell things. I had some issues with my first grade teacher, so when they TAUGHT us to read in school, I was one of those kids who had to be pulled out of class to read in the halls...cuz I didn’t do the reading at home! I think the helpers loved reading with me, because I was so good! (See, I told you it would sound like I was bragging, but I’m not, I’m just brilliant!) >:)
2. What books do you remember owning as a child?
We had lots of books. We had many Dr. Seuss books and I remember reading over and over some P.D. Eastman books. I loved it when my mom would read us "All Because a Little Bug Went Ker-Choo" and I loved "The Digginist Dog." I also remember having a few Berenstein Bear books....like the one where they go to the museum and the dinosaur bone is missing...I can’t remember the name of it right now, but I loved that one too!
3. What is the first book you remember buying with your own money?
Something from the book order, but do you think I could remember it?? I know it was a Berenstein Bears book, but I couldn’t tell you whether it was the messy room one, or the junk food one.
4. Were you a re-reader as a child? If so, what did you read the most often?
I was NOT a re-reader as a child. I was a re-listener, but once I could read, and HAD to read, I’d only do it if I had to! When I had a choice of books to LISTEN to I’d usually pick "Mr. Brown Can Moo, Can You?"

5. What is the first adult book that captured your interest and how old were you when you read it?
That would be "Where the Red Fern Grows." I had to read it for a book report in 4th or 5th grade (so I would have been about 10 or 11), but I can’t really remember. I just remember thinking, "Gee, if all books ended like this one, I will NEVER read again!"
6. Are there any children's books you passed by as a child and learned to love as an adult?
The whole Arthur series. I didn’t read them when I was younger, but my son and I both love to read them over and over! Such good lessons found there!

Now it’s your turn. What books did you love as a child? I won’t necessarily tag anyone for this, but if you want to do it...feel free, then let me know!

5 comments:

Blackeyedsue said...

What fun memories. I thought Amelia reading in Kindergarten was early. I loved "Where the Red Fern Grows." It always makes me cry.

Sketchy said...

Isn't it cool how a book just brings it all back. I LOVE to read so I should do this meme, but I already owe NCoolS one, so I'll have to catch up there first!

I so could relate when you talked about Cameron's reading and how it effects you. Thats one of the hardest things for me as well, when my kids aren't strong in the areas where I am talented. It's hard to let go, I think its because I look at it like, "I know this road and its a good road." So I want them to take it too.

Anonymous said...

I got tagged, too, but I have so much to say about reading I haven't done it yet... Maybe I should. :)

Suzanne said...

I loved reading your Meme! Wow! You really did learn to read early. I also loved to listen to books being read to me. Thanks for playing! :)

Anonymous said...

I remember that about you! I was NOT he same way...I learned to read with the rest of the class. I never really learned to LOVE to read until I was in high school...now I ADORE it! Craig learned to read (actually taught himself) when he was about the same age as you! His parents have pictures of him sitting on top of a pile of books that were piled on his little stool when he was 18 months old (he was sucking his thumb...so cute)! Being a good reader will take a person ANYWHERE they want to go!