Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Wits End

Today was NOT a good day! I had been hoping that since I just had L and E to babysit it wouldn't be so bad, but that wasn't the case!!
My entire family didn't get to bed until WAY late last night...(daddy had play practice that ended at 10:00, and I NEEDED to talk with my mom after what happened yesterday...) so we didn't get to our own beds until 10:30 or later! This small thing can cause enormous problems...especially if you're supposed to be awake at 5 AM!
Anyway, I was grumpy, Cam was grumpy, little L was grumpy, and baby E? He was happy as a clam...well, for a while! To make story short: fighting, back-talking, and biting were involved! Not a fun day...not fun at all!
Then I got a call from my friend (mother of L and E). I love her dearly, but that woman thinks she needs to call me all of the time! It's gotten to the point where if I see her number on the caller-ID I'll ignore it. (Not a very good friend, am I?)
She wanted to find out exactly what had happened today and wanted me to call her back. I ended up leaving for a quick shopping spree with my husband and son, but when I got back I decided I needed to call her and BEG for time off. If not for anything else, but for my own sanity!
We talked and came to the conclusion that we BOTH needed time with our families, so tomorrow is our unofficial day-off. I hope it helps on BOTH ends!
I don't want to be negative all of the time, but I'm so burned out with the whole babysitting thing. I don't mind helping out once in a while, but having to be there ALL of the time is wearing on me! I don't like having my whole world revolve around someone else's family! This is NOT how I pictured my life!! I certainly hope that this new schedule change will help out! We all need the help!
Now, to end on a more positive note:
I'm stealing an idea from someone else's blog. It made me giggle, so I've decided to share my own lists here!


Things that make me smile:

  • Smiling babies
  • The "look" from my husband
  • A surprise email or call from a friend
  • Watching my son jump into piles of fallen leaves
  • Noticing the sights and smells around me on a cool fall day
  • Watching a show that isn't animated
  • Older couples still holding hands

Things that drive me nuts:

  • Being used by someone I considered a friend
  • Disobedient children
  • Long nights and early mornings
  • Mean children
  • Not getting a shower when I need it
  • Naps cut short

9 comments:

CareBearMommy said...

Wow. It sounds like you had a tough day. I think that having my live revolve around everybody else's children and work schedules would drive me nuts, too. I'm glad that you were able to muster up the courage to call L & E's mother to let her know how you feel. I sure hope you enjoy your day off tomorrow, and that you're able to work out a more do-able schedule. And hey... isn't the mom going to be quitting her job soon because her hubby got a new job a few months back? If she doesn't have to work, then why should she? I know lots of people out here are probably wondering why I don't work, since it's fairly common around here for both parents to work. I'd much rather stay home with my children then work and be away from them (and for what?!). Working just to get extra money (and not out of necessity) isn't always the best thing to do.

I liked your lists. All I have to say to that is, AMEN! I totally agree.

Have a good night! I hope you got to bed earlier than last night.

nikko said...

Hey, nice idea! :o) I like your lists, too. Naps cut short drive me bonkers... I'll have to put that on my next list.

Hope today is a nice break for you.

Anonymous said...

You know... why not just let up on the sitting of kids? Maybe do it 2 or 3 days a week only. You HAVE to give yourself time with your family & for yourself. I hope today is the day you need, a shower & peace & family time-- *HUGS*

Millie said...

I agree with melnhead. This kind of schedule would kill me off. I think it's great that you're so helpful, but time off is worth it!

Dawnyel said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Dawnyel said...

Carebearmommy: (Can I ever start calling you by your REAL name??) You put what I've been thinking into the PERFECT words! I would never want to leave my son to work outside of the home, and I'm glad I can earn money by doing this, but....yeah... I'm glad to have an ally!! :)

Nikko: I tried to link you to this post, but blogger was being super STOOPID! (Sorry!) I told you I liked it tho! :)

Melnhead: Like the new name! :) The thing about my babysitting is that I only babysit for both families only 2 or 3 times a week. Uh...it's just NOT quite working like I had hoped! Although, today was a TOTAL day off...I didn't even have the other baby (since he's teething)! I'm hoping today really helps!

Millie: YES! AMEN! :) Days off are just the thing when you feel crazy and overwhelmed!

ellen said...

Enjoy your day off!

One Scrappy Gal said...

So how are you spending your day off? Did you get to take that shower? Enjoy bonbons on the couch? I ask while one kid colors my toes with her crayon and the other yanks my hair and headbutts my face. :)

Kristine said...

Definitely a good idea to have time to yourself...I hope you are able to fill your heart and spirit with peace and joy enough to last you for a week or two.