Thursday, October 26, 2006

Weird Call

I'm getting over my shock...Thank you all for your support and prayers. I WILL keep you all updated on the situation! But until then I'm determined to be happy! Enjoying everything!
While I was in the middle of restocking my newly defrosted fridge, and enjoying babies' naptime on my crazy Thursday, I got a long distance call. I know it's a long distance call thanks to the cool ring it gets bring bring! I wondered if it was the geneticist again, looked at the caller ID and saw "LDS Church Main." OH MY GOODNESS!! WHAT DO THEY WANT WITH ME!? IS IT THE PROPHET? HAVE I BROKEN SOME SERIOUS LAWS?? ARE THEY GOING TO GIVE ME A CALLING?! I HOPE NOT! WHO COULD IT BE?
Me: "Hello?" (Imagine a quivering, squeaky voice)
Man: "Sister Dawnyel? This is Elder Hales from the records department at the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints."
Me: THINKING 'Phew, I'm not in trouble!'
Man: "We have the records for a 'Daren' and wondered if you had his address. His current ward has requested his information, but didn't have an address."
At this point I was thoroughly relieved, and tried to help, but quickly realized I didn't have ANY of my brother's info! I quickly gave the man my mom's phone number, and told him that she could probably help him.
Now, here's my ponderance for the day: Why did they call me? I'm his SISTER! Not only that, but our last names aren't even the SAME anymore! Oh, well, it makes for a fun story! :)

8 comments:

CareBearMommy said...

Well, that IS a strange phone call. I can't believe you don't even know your brother's phone number! Geeze... you're such a bad sister! (j/j)

And I meant to comment on your blog yesterday, but Blogger was being a poop and wouldn't let me post a comment. I hope that everything is okay with Cameron, and that his spinal curvature is not a sign of something worse. Even though worrying will probably not do you any good, go right ahead and worry. It's a parent's job to worry anyway. I'll keep you and your family in my prayers. So will Jasmine.

smart mama said...

I get those calls all the time wanting addresses fro my brother in laws- I have to laugh because of all the members on the list- we're the only ones not in UTAH!

Anonymous said...

that is strange...especially since your last names are different now! And don't feel bad that you don't know your brothers address...I don't know my brothers address either!

Anne/kq said...

We got a call about my sister-in-law like that once (while my husband was working, while I was newly married.) I didn't know if my s-i-l's name was indeed what she said, but I did know that she was newly married, and had a different last name.

However, knowing how she feels, I didn't really want to get in her business with the Church. I referred them to my mother-in-law, so if she wanted to give out the information it would be on her conscience, so to speak.

You know that your last name may be different but you're still linked to your family in the church records, right? They obviously use those as a reference when they're calling people to try to find out where their sibs are; in our case they must have known that he was still active because he had recently updated his record to include me and the fact that we were sealed in the L.A. Temple. I do kind of wonder why they didn't call his mother (although she now has a different last name than my husband's, she remarried, again, they should have been able to find that out from church records... Ah, the mysteries of the workings of the Church!)

She said thank you and I never heard from them again, btw. My mother-in-law didn't mention it so I don't know what happened with that.

Amanda said...

So strange!!
"Is it the prophet?" LOL I would have thought the same thing.

We had a couple here in Rapid that were called as the Bismark Temple president and matron. President Hinckley called himself to speak with the Brother. His wife answered the phone and had the shock of her life! Her husband wasn't home and she could only let her imagination run wild why the Prophet was calling her husband! LOL

Millie said...

LOL... funny... the Church calls me too about my family every so often. I figure the more they're bugged by the Church, the better. ;)

Dawnyel, I must compliment you on having such a great positive attitude! I can learn a lot from you!

ellen said...

You can run but you can't hide.

Melzie said...

How funny-- I don't thionk I would have answered-- just cause I'd be afraid. I make Joe answer if it's the misionaries or anyone else form church. LOL!