Friday, October 20, 2006

Teething? At My Age??

I'm doing MUCHO bettero! :) This morning wasn't the best, but it did go better! L and E were at my house bright and early, and both slept fairly well...unfortunately, I didn't! I had been awake since 4:30, and didn't get a chance to snooze until 10:30...when L was watching Over the Hedge, and baby E had finally cried himself to sleep.
I'm finding myself back into the teething stages! Didn't think I'd be there again until I had a baby of my own, but with the whole babysitting adventure it comes with the territory. Both baby E and baby J are teething...so is little L! What's in the water here? I didn't realize that E was teething until he had been screaming bloody murder for several hours. It took me a minute to realize he kept stuffing his whole hand into his mouth...then salivating profusely! (A.K.A. drooling!) Once I realized he was miserable...it was almost time for his mom to pick him up! DOH! So I dosed the kid with "the purple stuff," and he almost instantly calmed down and slept peacefully for a few hours! What a relief!
So now I'm petitioning those of you who have been through this process more recently than me (or maybe those who had an EXCELLENT tip) for advice. I used the infant's Tylenol, and with baby J we used Ambesol, but what to do when neither of those work? I gave screaming E a washcloth to chew on, and it helped, but I want more help. What is a good remedy for relief from teething pain?

9 comments:

Millie said...

Something hard to bite on, like a cookie, or a crust of bread, or something.

Amanda said...

I know this sounds weird, but my twins loved frozen vegetables. They were small, cold and hard and I guess it helped sooth them. Plus I felt okay about them eating it versus something less healthy.

Melzie said...

Frozen waffles. What a mess- but Nathan loved them. :) Oh, and teh purple stuff-- but really- frozen waffles- cheap, kiddo ate them, and it was cold. Wonderful combination!

One Scrappy Gal said...

I second the frozen waffles! My kids love them. Also the tylenol. Ice cold wash rag to gnaw on too. Zwibacks were also great.

nikko said...

We use carrots. Either peel a big one, or I pick through the bag of baby carrots and find the longest one so it's easier for him to hang on to, and he doesn't think he needs to shove the entire thing in his mouth.

And dose him up with the purple stuff. Better living through chemistry, right? :o)

Anonymous said...

Frozen Otter pops! Here's how you can safely give it to a baby...trim the ouchie jagged edges it comes with, then poke a few holes into so the juice can just barely come out. Then give it to them to chew on. The ice makes their teeth feel good and the sweet makes them want to keep chewing. Oh throw a bib on them to help with the drooling, but other that that because its only a couple holes its not messy.

I know it sounds like an odd thing, but it totally got me through 4 kids teething problems! It was literally the only thing that really helped my kiddos.

wendy said...

More frozen stuff ideas. A whole big frozed bagel is a big hit over here. The babe can gnaw on it while it is cold, and then you throw it away before it gets mushed all over the place.

Also, if you get a corner of a (clean) washcloth wet, then freeze it, it will be even more appealing than a regular old washcloth.

I had a neighbor once who recommended good wiskey. You rub a bit on the babies gums, then you drink the rest. Works every time. I've never actually tested that, but...

Anonymous said...

I second the Otter pop method...the cold soothes and the sweet keeps them comming back for more! I also used the frozen baby washcloth method...but it wasn't as effective because it didn't taste as good as the popcicle!
Hang in there...teething is rough business! At least you don't have to deal with it at night!

Mama D said...

Hylands teething tablets are pretty good. You can get them at the health food store.