Monday, October 16, 2006

Synopsis of My Weekend

This last weekend was a good break for me! I really needed it after all of the things that went on last week. I'm REALLY looking forward to NEXT week, simply because I only have to babysit on Thursday and Friday....that's it!! That's enough to make me happy to go through this LONG week before my blissful week of 2 days!
The reason I'm only babysitting for 2 days is because Cameron and I are going on a special trip that interferes with my usual babysitting schedule...we're going to Primary Children's Medical Center for Cam's yearly genetics check-up. We go every year, but this year we're going later on than we normally do. Usually we go in the middle of the summer, but our summer was SO packed that we had to put it off. And since we have to make the LONG trip to Salt Lake from Idaho we had to get all of the kid's appointments made for the same day...that way we're only making the trip ONCE! Getting it all coordinated was a pain, but it will be worth it! For the most part, they're just keeping tabs on him...checking his blood pressure, making sure his CAL spots are normal, checking him for tumors...that sort of thing. I'm hoping that he won't need extra tests! His main concern when we tell him that we're going to the doctor is whether: 1. Is grandma going? (She is.) and 2. Are they going to hurt me? Here's hoping they won't!
Yesterday we finished up our last week of competition for our Singing Time Olympics. At last count the Junior primary was kicking butt...571 points to the Senior primary's 546.5. Yesterday I felt sorry for the older kids and gave them the opportunity to get 40 points per song. That wasn't such a good idea! Thanks to those extra points, the senior primary technically won the olympics! I discussed it with the Primary president and one of the counselors, and we all decided to make it closer in points, because without those "extra" points they would have most likely tied! Not only that, but the Junior kids try SO much more than those older ones! SO, our final "tally" was Junior primary: 768 to Senior primary: 768.5! (Yes, we had the seniors win by 0.5 points!) But EVERYONE will be getting a medal on the day of our Primary program. So for now I'm collecting the silver tops and bottoms from frozen concentrate juice containers, gluing ribbon to the lids, and making medals out of them. Then I'll glue (not hot glue!) candy to the lids and make a cool award! I just need to locate the lids now! I'm going to put an announcement in our ward bulletin starting this week! I need about 58 lids...here's what I get for being overly motivated!!
I also did BOTH singing times yesterday. It wasn't too bad! Usually I have to plead and cry to get the senior primary to sing, but yesterday they sang better than I've EVER heard them sing before! I was so proud of them! (I told them that too!) Now my next challenge is finding a few more soloists for when we sing Follow the Prophet. We're having one child sing one verse, then another one sing the next verse, then we're ALL singing and signing the chorus. Repeat 2 more times for a total of 6 verses! (So it's 2 verses and then the chorus...) And we're not just singing the verses from the Children's songbook either! We're singing verses about Nephi, Helaman, Samuel the Lamanite, Joseph Smith, Brigham Young and Gordon B. Hinckley. Our program is going to be so fun! I'm excited!
Last year for the program they had a lot of smaller groups singing the songs...this year we only have ONE solo, and then the Follow the Prophet thing. Other than those songs the kids are ALL going to sing! That's what I love to see! YAY!
Now it's back to "real" life. I'm going to enjoy myself today! Then it's back to work tomorrow! UGH! I'm going to try and NOT think about it!

9 comments:

Mama D said...

I hope the trip goes well and that none of the test are going to hurt!

Mall Worker said...

I hope the tests don't hurt and you guys have a great trip!

Anne/kq said...

I love to see all the kids sing, too!

May I suggest a verse NOT to use? Ahem...

"Elisha was a prophet,
He had little hair;
Children called him "Baldie,"
He called for a bear.
They were torn to shreds and
There's a lesson there--
Never tease a prophet
When he's near a bear!"

*giggles maniacally*

Amanda said...

I hope your trip goes well. Good luck with everything.

The singing olympics sound like a lot of fun! I bet your primary has a great time.

Millie said...

Hope that Cam's tests go well! You sound like a fun chorister!

Anonymous said...

If only all Primary Choristers were as great at their callings as you are at yours! You really put a lot of thought into it! *Clapping from the peanut galley*
Good luck on your trip! I hope that all is well with Cam! Will you be there any extra time? Are you planning any fun activities while you are there?
Enjoy!

Lana said...

sounds like your primary is really lucky! What a fun calling!

Melzie said...

Nathan is singing a solo for church! :) It's the only reason why I probably won't call in sick 10 minutes before everyone leaves for church. ;) Enjoy a short week- and a nice trip!! :)

wendy said...

Your singing time totally rocks! Our program is this coming Sunday and I hope we survive it.

We have really struggled in our Primary with singing. I don't know what the deal is, but I think they will do a great job even if it's not quiet the Tabernacle Choir!