Thursday, September 21, 2006

Epiphany of Sorts

Without going into too much detail I learned a VERY valuable lesson in the wee hours of the morning today. I was pondering what was happening in my life and why all of those prayers I've prayed haven't been answered in the way I have hoped and wanted for so long. Then the thought came to me that I wasn't ready for it. If I had been given what I had wanted, my life would NOT be the same, happy life I have now.

Someone once shared a parable with me...and it completely applies to my life right now.

When you're a mother and your child comes to you at 11:30 in the morning asking for cookies, you tell him no. Then you give him a sandwich and some milk and tell him that what he REALLY needs is lunch. He may whine and throw a tantrum, but you are the mother, and you know what is best for your child.

When we pray to God for things, He may react like we did to our cookie-seeking child. We may be praying over and over for "cookies," but what we really need is some "lunch."

I've been praying for cookies for a LONG time now, and just realized the exact reasons that I've been told to eat my lunch. I am just SO grateful for an all knowing Father who looks out for me, and gives me what I need, rather than what I want.

I'm reminded of a song by Michael McLean...I hope he forgives me for sharing the words with you now:

All I ever wanted,
All I ever dreamed of
Everything I hoped and all the things I prayed for
Couldn't hold a candle to what I've been given
I've been given what I need.


A mansion on a hill or love like in the movies
Perfect little lives where no one has a problem
Instead of all those things I thought I really wanted
I've been given what I need.


Even when I didn't understand
When I thought you had no heart
Thank you for rejecting my demands
And always giving me the better part.


The words to this song sum up my thoughts completely and I'm just SO grateful for an early morning epiphany!

5 comments:

CareBearMommy said...

Imagine how much better life would be for everybody if we all took the words to that song to heart. I know that I have had a problem with wanting the "cookies" in life. Hey... expounding upon the analogy, maybe that's why cookies are saved for AFTER lunch. Hmm.... something to think about. ANYway, congrats on your epiphany.

Mel said...

Great epiphany! I like my cookies first too! It's a good thing we have a loving God that knows what is really best. Thanks for sharing!

Millie said...

I LOVE the "want/need" thing. I've had the same thought going through my head lately, although I have to admit that it's been the Rolling Stones in my head instead of MM.

"You can't always get what you wa-want....but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you get what you need."

Which isn't nearly as wonderful as MM's version. But the same idea. I absolutely love the lunch/cookies analogy. It's perfect!

Amanda said...

Very profound analogy! Thanks for sharing it. I think we all get caught up in thinking WE know what is best when really we don't.

Anonymous said...

I like this post. It makes a good point that everybody needs to read.