Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Are They Cotton or Silk?

I had a major flash-back last night...I remembered something that happened while I was working at Kmart, and I had a good laugh over it and thought I'd share with all of you.

FLASHBACK....FLASHBACK....FLASHBACK....FLASHBACK.....FLASHBACK
Nearly 10 years ago, I was working apparel at Kmart. I was a very prudish girl, and was EXTREMELY innocent when it came to certain things. On this particular night it had been a LONG day and we were just getting ready to close the store when I got an odd call.
I was in charge of men's wear that night and I heard the page over the loud speaker announcing a phone call for my department. I quickly answered in my polite phone-voice.
Me: "Hello. Thank you for calling Kmart, how may I help you?"
Feminine-sounding, Southern-drawling man: "Uh, yes. Do you have thongs for men?"
Now I knew we did, since I had just stocked them THAT very day.
Me: "Yes, we do."
FS,SDM (Him): "Do you happen to know how much they cost?"

Me: "Uh, no, can you hold while I go and check?"
Him: "Sure."
I hurried over to where we kept the men's under things and found the prices. Hurrying back to the phone I was thinking about how I needed to hurry and wrap this call up, so I could leave for home. I was a bit embarrassed by the whole thing, but I tried to remain professional about it.
Me: "Sir?"
Him: "Yes?"

Me: "The thongs we have are $6."
Him: "Oh, my...Six dollars? Now is that for one pair?"
Me: "Oh, no, that's for 3 pairs."

Him: "Oh, (sounding pleased) three pairs. Now, are they cotton or silk, because I'm a male stripper and I need to know these kinds of things..."
At that instant my face turned bright red and I hurried and mumbled something about not knowing for sure and hurriedly closed up the conversation. I was humiliated, but I figured it was something I should tell my favorite manager about. He was on his break and I went over and proceeded to tell him the whole story.
He laughed so hard his face nearly went purple. I felt even MORE embarrassed. Then he said, "Well, Dawnyel, you should have invited him to come to the store and try them on for you!" That was IT! I was so humiliated and so embarrassed I instantly left him and had to hide in the fitting rooms until closing time.

Looking back, it makes for a great story, but geez! I was so innocent. My poor little head couldn't even THINK about a man wearing a thong, let alone modeling one for me! I still turn red just thinking about it! UGH!

6 comments:

CareBearMommy said...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Now, after thinking about it for a while, I remember you telling me this story a long time ago. I can't believe I forgot! Well, one thing's for sure... you ain't so innocent anymore! Next time you're at K-Mart (or Wal-Mart, or wherever), I dare you to walk over to the man-thong section with your hubby and calmly discuss the prices and fabric selections with him!

Melzie said...

LOL! Oh gosh- that's hilarious...

Kristine said...

LOL!!So, dare we ask what inspired the flashback? (he, he).

For $2 a pair, I'm betting they were cotton. Silk thongs....hmmmm...yuck. I think we can stop right there.

Funny that he would tell you exactly why he needed them, and that you got soooo embarrassed.

Thanks for sharing!

Dawnyel said...

Carebear: Steve asked me what I'd do if he walked up to the "thong" section of Kmart, held up a package and yelled out, "HEY, Here's those thongs you wanted!" I told him I wouldn't care...but if he'd been a customer and done that while I was working I would have been so embarrassed...I guess it doesn't matter so much now...

Froggy: Thanks for laughing at me! :D

Kristine: I don't remember what caused the flashback. I was talking with a friend and somehow it came up...I thought, "HEY! Good idea for a post!" And I do think they were cotton, and a silky-like substance...personally, I was so humiliated that I think my exact words to the guy were: "Uh...uh....I think they're cotton....uh....thanks for calling..." And promptly hung up.

Mel said...

so funny! I thought you were going to say that it was just a big joke. We use to pull pranks like that on co-workers... calling in and pretending to be a customer. Asking something really embarassing and then watching the reaction of our co-worker. Not so nice but good teenage fun.

Millie said...

Oh, man, that is funny... who knew there were male strippers in Idaho? :) And would you really call K-Mart about thongs? This guy sounds like he was totally pulling your leg!