Monday, August 14, 2006

My Weekend as a Wheel

This last weekend was filled with all kinds of activities. We spent the majority of the weekend in my husband's hometown and with his family. We dropped off Cam and our over-night stuff at Steve's brother's apartment, and then we were off for the adventure known as "10 year class reunion." After talking with my mom about what goes on at these events I thought I was prepared to be the extra wheel behind my husband, but I think I held my own pretty well.
Friday night they had a dinner and program at a local hotel. It was fun seeing people who recognized Steve and him re-connecting with old friends. We plopped ourselves down at a table to await the night's events. We were talking with two of Steve's pals when a random girl came up to him, pointed and said, "Stephen _____!" We were quite shocked!! This girl was one of those in high school who was popular and quite nice to all she knew, but she never really ever talked to Steve! They ended up talking and having a good time. Then we ate the dinner, and sat back and enjoyed the attempts of the comedian/magician. I think our table was the only one paying any attention to him, and laughing at him. By the end of the program I was thoroughly bored, and begged to get to bed. Steve said there was someone he wanted to talk with who was on his way, so we waited for him. They had a cash bar there, and I watched as the drinkers stumbled off one by one. By the time his friend got there the room just REEKED of beer, and I was ready to leave. We went to his brother's place, and got ready for bed.
Instead of sleeping when we got there I stayed up and talked with his brother for an hour and a half. It's weird...I can talk better with his brother than he can, and Steve can talk better with my brothers than I can. So I got him talking about EVERYTHING that is going on in his life. I gave him my advice, and just hopes that he takes it.
After sleeping really weirdly, we woke up late and hurried off to the school tour. Since they've remodeled most of the building, they thought it would be fun to see what's new! I just know that the history there is AWESOME! And that if I had to go there, I would have gotten lost!! Then after the tour, we went to the park for a barbecue. I mostly stuck with the people I had met the night before, or stuck to watching Cam while he was playing on the toys and in the bounce house. Steve had a good time, but since he wasn't very popular, and quite a loner in school, he didn't know many people, which means, I didn't know very many people.
I was shocked to realize how much fun it could be though, and have since decided to go to my own 10-year reunion next year! I knew more people, and I have a VERY different personality, so I'm hoping that with those positives that I will have fun at my own reunion.
I was shocked that I knew someone he graduated with. She was in the institute choir with me EONS ago. I was happy for that fact!
After the whole thing was over, we met up with Steve's parents and chatted for a couple of hours. It's one of the few times when I've really gotten along with his mom and dad and I had more fun with them than I did almost the whole time at his reunion.
Then on Sunday I realized a little stuffy nose that had started on Friday was now a full-blown icky mess. I was hurting pretty bad, and called in sick for Primary. I was disappointed that I couldn't go, but I was really glad for the recuperation time! I feel much better today, and hope it's just allergies! (The smoke in the air is pretty bad from the fires burning around here!) Because if it's allergies, then I have some allergy medicine that will really help! I'm just really happy that I can breathe through my nose today! YAY for small miracles!

5 comments:

Mel said...

What a good sport you are to go to your DH high school reunion! I've never been and know my DH will NEVER accompany me there. Hmpfh.

Mall Worker said...

I'm glad that you guys had a good time at the reunion. I dread mine and I probably won't go! I hope you feel better soon!

Blackeyedsue said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Blackeyedsue said...

We had so much fun at my DH's 10-year. He was in office and knew everyone. We have been pretty good friends with a few couples so I was off the hook as far as who to hang out with.

Since we are polar opposites, I wasn't that popular. I was just a "good girl". I knew who people were, but I wasn't so sure if they knew me. I keep in touch with the ones that I really want to see, but there are a few that I wonder about. I didn't go to mine last year. Several people that went said it was fun though.

I am so glad you had a good time. I might go to my 20-year.

P.S. It is late and I guess I can't spell after 11:00 p.m. Sorry for the deleted comment. There were just WAY to many spelling mistakes.

Dawnyel said...

Stephanie: Yeah, Uh...I wasn't "popular" either! I was the good girl who hung out in the "good girl group." I just had a BIG group that I did stuff with...so there's BOUND to be people that I want to see ther! But I'm excited to see some of the other people who I went to school with...And how they've changed.
Living in the same town that I grew up in helps me run into those people sometimes, but it'll be fun to see them all together!