Thursday, August 17, 2006

Another Secret Fear

I'm going to let you in on a little secret...I'm afraid of aliens! OKAY!!! Go ahead....laugh...I can handle it (the fact that I can't hear you laughing helps with me being okay about it!) I don't know exactly when it started, but I know it got worse once that show Unsolved Mysteries came out. To this day the sound of Robert Stack's voice or the theme song to that show will send shivers up and down my spine! By that time it was a full blown phobia! Just hearing other accounts of alien abductions convinced me that I was once abducted and experimented upon...I mean, I even had the same shaped scars that they showed people who had been abducted as having. It completely freaked me out!
One night I was sleeping peacefully in my messy bedroom when I woke up for my nightly potty run. Imagine in your mind a room that was so cluttered with clothes, toys, and papers that the
piles were the same height as the bed. (Yes, I was a pig! But I'm not that way anymore...I swear!) Anyway, I got up and wandered to the door only to find that the door was not there. Instead I found a wall. Of course I first thought that I had flipped around in my bed, so I wandered in the opposite direction, hoping to find my way out. Instead, I found another wall! That time I was scared! I knew that I had been abducted by aliens, and was now their captive! My over-active mind knew that they had placed me in a holding cell until they could get around to dissecting me.
I collapsed on my bed and began bawling uncontrollably.
I shared a room with my sister and figured that she would be nearby and could hear me. I called out her name...begging her to turn on the light so I knew where I was. After a few minutes of crying, the lights came on, but NOT in the room I was in. I realized I was in the room right next to my room...our family's "pilot" room. (We called it that because that was where we would "pilot (pile)" our junk. It was as messy, or worse than my room had been!) I climbed out of the mess relieved to be in my home! If I remember right, I was so happy that I hugged my sister. I don't know if she even remembers this incident, but I always will remember the time that she was my hero! I still don't know how I ended up in that room...but I always suspected it had been an alien drop off!
Now I'm still a bit afraid when I think of the things that aliens are portrayed in the media to be able to do. It doesn't bother me too much, unless I think a lot about it. I've actually come up with my own theory about aliens. I believe that "aliens" are actually out on other planets, but I don't believe that they have the technology that they are shown to have. I think they're just like us...trying to get their own lives in order, and not necessarily worrying about life on other planets.
I'm not so worried about aliens anymore, but if I ever find unusual scaring, hear Robert Stack's voice or that theme song I will head for the hills! Otherwise, I'll be fine.

4 comments:

Melzie said...

You know.. he is kinda creepy. :)

Mall Worker said...

The movie Fire in the Sky did that for me. I was afraid to go into the woods at night for years. Even now I think twice about it.

Millie said...

Yeah, they only picked him for his voice. That was it. If you watch him in the Airplane! movies, it'll cure you of being freaked out by him.

How do crop circles happen, anyway? Hmmmm.

CareBearMommy said...

Whew... gulp... gasp... okay... I think I'm done laughing now. Actually, I think you are brave to be able to admit one of your secret fears for all the blogging world to see. And now, thanks to you, I have that stoopid Unsolved Mysteries tune stuck in my head. I haven't heard that for a LOOOONNNNNNGG time. It is a little on the creepy side, isn't it?