Friday, August 18, 2006

They Say EVERYONE Wins When You Support Charities, But I'M The REAL Winner!

Last night we went to a fund raiser/end of summer event for the Learning Center (where Cam has been every Friday this summer!) I was told by Steve's old boss to pass the message to him that he HAD to go to it, so being an obedient boy, he went.
They had all sorts of fun stuff going on. They were selling the crafts the children had been making all summer, they had a raffle, they were selling food and goodies, and they were having a silent auction. We walked along the tables with the auction items on it when we came to a cool gift certificate for a family photo shoot worth $130! Figuring it was worth a shot, we bid $5. As the night got along we ate and watched as more and more people were bidding on the items. I noticed that there were 3 gift certificates for the same photographer and each one was getting a little higher and higher. After we ate I made Steve stand by the paper and babysit it...I really wanted to win it! We stood and guarded it until they announced that the bidding was over,"Put the pens down and step away from the tables. It's over!" At that point we had won that particular item with a bid of $7!! How can you beat that!?
We sat down with everyone else and watched some slide shows of what the kids did that summer and waited for the winners to be announced. We went through the entire thing without hearing our names. I was thinking, "Uh...we KNOW we won that bid...we babysat the sucker until the bidding was FINISHED!! What's up?"
Apparently some guy wandered by and noticed a LOW bid on ours. Thinking it wasn't NEARLY high enough, this guy put HIS name under ours with a higher bid!! CHEATER, CHEATER, PUMPKIN EATER!!! As Steve was trying to figure out what had happened, the guy admitted that he signed AFTER the bidding was over. His wife MADE him turn it over to us...with our lowly $7 bid!
I was really excited about it! I went home and checked out the photographer's website and now I'm EVEN more excited! They take AWESOME pictures!! I can't wait to get it done!! I'm just going to get a haircut before we do, then I'm going to schedule it! I'm a winner...I'm a winner....I'm a winner!!

And now, I'm off. My parent's company is having their company party tonight and they've invited us. Unfortunately Steve has to work graveyard tonight, but I don't...so I'm going! It should be fun!
See all of you later!
One more thing before I leave...I'm very pleased with how America's Got Talent turned out! I'm really, really, REALLY glad that Bianca won! She was SOOOOOO good! It's hard to believe that she's only 11!! WOW! And her reaction to winning a million smackers was priceless too! YAY! True talent prevailed! (Secretly I was rooting for the guys who made fun of the quick change people...that was THE funniest moment in the show!!)

5 comments:

Lisa M. said...

Oh GOOD for you! Excellent! How fun. I love stuff like that.

Isn't it neat?


I am just tickled for ya.

CareBearMommy said...

Congrats on being a winner! You deserve it. I hope your family gets great pics! And have fun at your parents' company party, even if your Sweetie does have to work!

Blackeyedsue said...

I am so glad his wife made him give you the prize. Lucky you!

Mall Worker said...

Thats great that you won the prize! I'm glad that the guys wife made him do the right thing!

Kristine said...

That is an awesome photographer! I love the fact that you got the session for only $7! Let us know how your pictures turn out.