Wednesday, July 05, 2006

What a Holiday!

Tonight I sat with my husband and son, watching the brightly colored lights, listening to the strains of my favorite patriotic song and tears were rolling down my slightly sunburned cheeks. I am SO blessed!
Today I felt so truly grateful to those men and women who have given their lives for me to live in a country where I can be free. It all started this morning where we sat with cousins and other family members to watch our city's parade. It wasn't that impressive. But the fun part was when a mouse decided to run through the people and see if it could get a good view of the parade. You could tell where the mouse had been because there were people standing and screaming at the top of their lungs. Steve called it a forced "wave!" The mouse was one of the BEST parts of the parade. (Sad, but true!)
Then we went to my grandparents' house for a "weenie roast." I laughed and had fun, but not nearly as much fun as the kids did! One of my cousin's brought her kiddie pools and my mom said, "Hey! We've got a slip-n-slide...we could bring that!" So they had my brother bring it over for the kids' enjoyment. They had SO much fun with it. I was even asked a few times to recreate my belly flop from a few weeks ago...I politely declined. We had such fun, laughing and just enjoying one another's company.
Then the end to our fun day was the biggest show west of the Mississippi. (I know some other cities boast the same thing, but I did say it was the "biggest," not necessarily the "best!") The wind began to pick up and we worried that they may have to stop the show, but they managed to finish without having to stop. Once the show was done, the wind REALLY picked up! It was an amazing end to an amazing day! Even now some people are setting off their illegal fireworks in our neighborhood. I hope they end it soon...booming is not fun to try and sleep through! I hope you all had a day that was as great as mine!

3 comments:

Mall Worker said...

I'm glad you and your family had a great holiday! I missed out on the fireworks displays around here because Boo passed out before it was time to even go! I just love fireworks!

Mama D said...

I was so hoping for another belly flop story when I saw that slip n' slide photo. Shucks! Glad you had a fun day!!!

Millie said...

So much fun! What a great pic of the fireworks! Glad you had a good day too. :)