Thursday, July 20, 2006

Is Throttling Your Child Illegal?

It was another CRAZY day for me. It started last night. Usually, we don't get phone calls after 9:00, but we got two within a few minutes of each other. The first was my cousin. She wanted me to babysit her daughter today for her.
Me: "Uh, I'm going to have 2 other kids tomorrow too, but I mean, if you need me to..."

Her: "OH! Well, never mind. I just need to find someone else to babysit her. Her daddy's parents have been feeding her cow's milk...and I don't want them to watch her again!"
Me (thinking): "Holy cow! She's only 6 months old...are these people INSANE!!??"
Me (saying): "I don't blame you. If you need me to watch her and can't find anyone else, then call me and I'll do it...."
Her: "No, don't worry about it. Thanks anyway!"
Then a few minutes later my funny (stressed-out) sister called. She wanted me to bring along our tent for sleeping in her backyard on Saturday.
Me: "I don't think there'll be ANY room in the car for an added tent."
Her: "Well, I just thought it would be easier to set up than ours..."
Me: "Why?"
Her: "Well, ours has about a million parts to it and it would take forever to set up at 11:00 at night!"
Me: "Uh, Michelle? Don't we already have to set it up at 11:00?"
Her: "Yeah, but then you know how to set yours up, so it'll go faster!"
Me: "O....k.......a.........y......"

Her: "We've only set ours up two or three times, so it would take more time to set up. If you bring yours its easier, isn't it!?"
Me: "Let's see...ours has....(counting) 4 poles, plus multiple loops, but if you really want us to, we can bring it...."
Her: "Oh, I guess ours is easier to set up....never mind!"

I love my sister....but sometimes she can be a bit over-prepared. She's been worrying about this trip for weeks (Like, since we planned it!) And she's upset that the rest of us aren't freaking out over it! Come on! It's not that big a deal! We slept out under the stars ALL the time as kids...it wouldn't hurt us to do it now! I mean, is there rain in the forecast? Geez!
As of this moment, I'm not sure what we're going to do....I'm SURE my sister would really freak out over that information!
Then today I completely FORGOT everything I planned on doing! I was supposed to meet my visiting teachers at a park today....oops! Then I was supposed to pick up my friend L from work today....oops! WHY am I so scatter-brained!?
My son has also decided that it's FUN to tell me "no" when I tell him to do things...okay, so he screams at me, but it still makes me sad that my sweet boy is this bratty! Is there any good advice anyone can give me? (Other than throwing him into time-out 20 times a day? He just sits there, spits at me, and kicks my chair to bits!) I want to throttle him when he gets this ornery, but I don't. (Sorely tempted to, but don't!) HELP!
As of right now, I'm signing out from thinking for the weekend! No more! I'm off...to enjoy the hotel, swimming pool (which I neglected to mention!), Lagoon, (going on Colossus 20- bazillion times!), and Lagoon-a-beach! Then I'll worry about where I'm sleeping then...Not NOW!! :) Hope you all have a GREAT weekend!

8 comments:

utmommy said...

Hope everything works out good for you. It usually does.

As for the throttling, I don't know what to tell you. My kids have been rotten for the past couple days. I love 'em but they are driving me CRAZY!

Lana said...

have fun at Lagoon! We went a couple weeks ago and it was SO fun!

Blackeyedsue said...

Have fun on your excursion. You deserve to have a blast. I hope Lagoon isn't over-crowded. It hasn't been lately. The last time we went, the only lines that we had to wait in were the Tilt-a-whirl and Rattlesnake Rapids, and that was because there was a special needs group ahead of us on each ride that needed assistance getting on and off the ride.

The only parenting advice I ever give is to invest in the Love and Logic books. There is one for early childhood books. There are a lot of great concepts that really do work. I hope you find a way that works for you and Cam. ((HUGS))

Millie said...

Wow, spitting and kicking... I'd be doing a lot more than time out.

Hope your trip is great and your tent-putting-up goes well. :)

Dawnyel said...

Stephanie: Yeah, I hope the lines are short too! We're planning on getting wet, so HOPEFULLY the lines for Rattle Snake Rapids will be short! I don't think I can ride on Cliffhanger (those over the shoulder harnesses don't fit me...my boobs are too big! *growl*)

Naddin: Actually, I was trying to make myself sound nice...I do more than JUST time out. I spank him, but that doesn't help him any more than time outs. I'm wondering if he'll EVER grow out of this bad attitude! I don't really WANT to spank the kid, but when he spits and kicks me, my oldest child syndrome kicks in! *growl again!*

Gina said...

Good luck! I am sorry you were having a rough day! I hope the weekend turns out wonderful!

Mall Worker said...

That does sound like a rough day! I hope you have a great trip though!

As for the parenting advice, all I can offer is to ignore his fits. Let him act like that, and when you do nothing to stop him or give in to him, maybe that will send him a message!

Mama D said...

Yeah, not even going to attempt to give advice on that one. Feeling rather inexperienced.

Hope you have a great time!