Monday, May 22, 2006

What's in a Name?


My life Monday this week is: My parents named me __________ because . . .

*Sounding very much like a junior high English paper...* My parents named me Dawnyel because my mom liked the name Danielle, but it was too popular in her opinion, so she revamped the spelling and pronunciation and came up with Dawnyel (pronounced ‘don-yell.’) She tells me that she came up with my name when she was 16 years old and she was able to use it a few short years later when I was born. (She was only 18 when she had me.)
Growing up with that name was a difficult thing. I was called all kinds of things that weren’t even CLOSE to what my name really is. I was called: Donell, Donkeyell, Dogsmell, Darnell, D’nell, Dougyell and many other variations of those names. My rubbaundiesluva partner in crime, Carrie, was notorious for coming up with new nicknames for me almost weekly. I can’t even remember all of the things she called me while we were growing up. Most of her nicknames had NOTHING whatsoever to do with variations on my name, but her own creations. While I was in school I really HATED my name. It was too hard for substitute teachers to pronounce correctly and WAY too easy for other kids to make fun of.

Growing out of school I have slowly come to LOVE my name. I appreciate now that I had a UNIQUE name and not just a regular name that would force me to use my last initial for differentiating between me and others. As the years go by I have actually run into other people who’s name is pronounced the same way as mine (there’s even a professional basketball player who’s name is the same as mine...but he’s MALE!) But no one, yet, has the same spelling and pronunciation as my mother’s creative attempts!

As a funny side note...I was reading someone else's MLM and she put up a link to find out what your name means about you...I did my own name and it TOTALLY describes me! I'm shocked!!

To read other MLMs go to Rachelle's blog!

7 comments:

Mall Worker said...

Kids can be so mean! I think your name is pretty!

Rachelle said...

Ah the fun of nicknames. I had one growing up, but refused to go by it after grade school. People know not to call me that anymore! Thanks for sharing.

Lee said...

I really like your name, very unique, and pretty! Thanks for visiting my blog!

Anonymous said...

HMMM... Very interesting! I just did your name...and I AGREE with you! You are A lot like that! Mine is Correct too! CRAZY! And Craigs too! WAY CRAZY! I like your name...and always have!

CareBearMommy said...

I'm sorry that I called you so many names growing up. I really was mean, wasn't I? However, I still have to laugh at my Dad calling you "Donell." Probably because he can't seem to pronounce your name right. He still calls you that even now. I have always liked your name, and the elegant uniqueness of it. It's completely different from any other name, yet it's not one of those funky weird-o names that people like to come up with nowadays!

Momma G said...

what a cool name!

Diana Mancuso said...

Dawynel, your mom did very well in choosing a unique name. I have found that there are so many names that are overused and those are usually the students whose names I tend to forget. (Remember? I have difficulty remembering. Oh wait, so do you...) Wih a name as lovely as that, I sure would have a hard time forgetting!