Monday, May 01, 2006

The Piggy Slippers....Part Two



And now for the much anticipated second part of my piggy story. As you can see by the picture the second big event that I wore those slippers to was my wedding reception. (And I encouraged my bridesmaids to wear their slippers too!)

I figured that since they were a part of the proposal, that I would be COMFORTABLE and wear them for my reception. After all, no one would see them....except for when I raised my dress to show them off...which I did often! Our photographer commented that he had NEVER taken a picture quite like this one at any other wedding. Needless to say, I was proud to be unique! And part of the uniqueness came from having my reception at my parent's home. After thinking back on anything I would have changed, I probably would have had it at a church. My parents' home is very large, but not quite large enough for the reception. We did have a good time and it was very memorable, but it was quite cramped.

ANYWHO...I decided to wear my slippers because I HATE high heels. I didn't want to be uncomfortable on my big day...so I wore those slippers and now I have an unusual memory that I can now share with all of you....now that I finally scanned this picture! I still have our proofs from the wedding. The week after I got the proofs from my wedding the photographer's company went out of business, so I still have them and I STILL need to call the guy and get the package that we had paid for. (If you wonder WHY I wouldn't call the guy...you must have missed my post about phonophobia.) Steve tells me often to call the photographer and get it over with...but I kinda like having all of the pictures to look at and remember...

We decided to get married in the fall after he proposed. I had talked to one of my good friends and she told me that she was also engaged, but that they were going to be married in August and gee, wouldn't it be cool to be married within a week of one another...I mean...we always do EVERYTHING together (born 4 days apart...engaged within days of one another...) So after discussing it with Steve we decided to get married a week before my friend. As the time got closer to the date we realized that it wouldn't work out...so we pushed the date back to October. My main concern about pushing the date back was that my grandmother wouldn't live to go to it. She had cancer and was in the last stages of it...and just like I had feared she didn't make it. But I will talk about that later.

The day of the wedding the day was bright and sunny...but the wind was blowing. (For those of you from Idaho, you know how bad it can get...and it was that bad!) My dad was working like a crazy man to finish some parts of the house, he's a carpenter and we always joke that the carpenter's house is never finished! So I went to get my hair fixed and came home to go to the temple. My dad was nailing the doors up. I told him that we had to be there in a half hour and he said that he had to finish and then he'd shower and we could go. I freaked out. We were about 10 minutes late and I knew that Steve was beginning to worry. We got to the temple and then we did all of the preparations and I was dressed and ready to go really fast! But the matrons in the temple told me that he wasn't ready, so I had to wait in the bridal room for him so that he could wait for me. We got to the beautiful room and right next to my grandfather was an empty chair. I could feel my grandmother's spirit and I just cried and cried. The words were beautiful and so was the ceremony. Then we went out to the bridal garden outside of the temple and took all kinds of pictures. My cousin actually took my favorite picture of the whole day...we were sneaking a kiss under the knotty tree. If you were to go to the gardens now that tree would not be there...I guess it got too diseased and they had to get rid of it, but it was a beautiful backdrop for a lovely picture. We had our post-wedding activities and had a fun reception. It was something that I will always remember and cherish...and my piggy slippers were a part of that special day!

5 comments:

CareBearMommy said...

Wow. I can't believe how young (and skinny) I look in that picture! That was a fun memory. You were a beautiful bride! Thankyou for finally sharing the story! It's a shame that you haven't gotten any of your wedding pics (THAT YOU'VE ALREADY PAID FOR!), cuz there were some really pretty ones in the bunch. Of course, I'm not one to speak, since I never ordered my wedding pics either. We just got the proofs-- but that's all we paid for. That is, until we bought the negatives, thus giving us the right to get reprints anywhere. ANYwho, I'm glad you finally shared it! I've been looking forward to your "part 2" for several days now!

Rachelle said...

What a fun pic and fun story!

Mall Worker said...

I love that picture!

Anonymous said...

You are a cutie!!...quirky...but I love ya!
I love that pic...it is SO YOU! And it was a fun reception! I just wondered...how did all of the gold fish fare??? I heard Carebearmommies died after a long and fulfilled life! But I could be wrong about that.

Dawnyel said...

We had goldfish for our centerpieces at the reception. The goldfish were given away to my helpers at the reception. Carebearmommy did get one...she called him "Turtle-head" (after Austin Powers) and he did live to a ripe OLD age...Before she finally killed him either by freezing him or just flushing him...he was a sad creature to see...If I remember right his brains were coming out of his brain....YUCK!!