Friday, April 28, 2006

The Piggy Slippers....Part One

Okay...in my 6 weird things I mentioned that I love pigs and that I would talk more about that later....guess what!? It's later!
I have all kinds of little piggy things in my home...small statues, a modified door stop (pictured at left), and piggy notebook paper. At one time I had some really cute piggy slippers. I LOVED my piggy slippers. I would wear them everywhere. I wore them into the discount store I worked at and all of my fellow employees commented on how cute they were (and how strange I was.) I wore holes in those poor things! I even wore them on several important occasions...the first of which will be covered in this episode of Dawnyel's Memories.
My husband and I were dating and he was in town for a visit. He was only supposed to stay for one day and then go home that night, but my mom convinced him to stay and go home the next day and being madly in love with me and wanting to spend as much time with me as possible he agreed.
At the end of the day I had to take my sister's friend home. As we were leaving my parents' neighborhood, Steve leaned over and asked if we could make a detour. I knew what he was talking about. I live in an area where there is a temple close by, and I knew he wanted to stop there while we were out and about. I thought I was just doing some quick driving, so I was wearing my piggy slippers. After we got to the temple parking lot, I found a spot and heard a romantic song come on the radio right before I turned the car off. The whole way to the temple I was thinking in the back of my mind that he was going to propose to me, but I kept telling myself that it wasn't true....I was wearing my piggy slippers....he wouldn't propose while I was wearing those mangy things! No...he couldn't...he wouldn't....would he?
After turning the car off I told him that I was going to stay in the car because I was wearing my slippers, but he could walk around if he wanted to. He held my hand and told me that he wanted to be with me. Then he told me that he had a question for me. In the back of my mind a voice was screaming, "HE'S GOING TO PROPOSE!! WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO DO??" I asked him what it was. He then asked me if I loved him. I told him I did...then he asked me, "Will you be my wife? Will you marry me?" Tears sprang to my eyes!! I loved this man and I knew I wanted to spend the rest of eternity with him...so, of course, I said yes. He kissed me and then I started laughing....I remembered my slippers!! I told him why I was laughing and he told me that now we had a story to tell our kids about. I laughed again and kissed the man.
On the way back to my house I drove down the wrong side of the road...I was so euphoric! Luckily it was late at night and no one was around. But that was the start of my piggy slippers being a part of some important occasions in my life.
Sadly, I don't have those slippers any more. After years of wear and tear we decided that they needed to be retired. I miss them and want to replace them someday...I just have to find the right ones!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Man...your hubby is a lucky man...and he is so perfect for you! To love you not in spite of...but because of the little quirks in your personality!
As I promised...I won't indicate the second part...and I won't...but you better get that pic scanned...cause it is SOO dang funny! And I am sure that the rest of your readers are riveted by the suspension I am creating in this comment! SO HURRY IT UP! haha

Blackeyedsue said...

What a fun story. You should have had the piggy slippers bronzed and placed next to your wedding photos.

CareBearMommy said...

I am so gonna give the second part of the story away.....EVERYBODY, DAWNYEL WORE HER PIGGY SLIPPERS WHEN STEVE PROPOSED TO HER! Oh, wait... that was the first part that you just told. Oh, hmm... oh, yeah... THE PIGGY SLIPPERS--

Alrigt, alright.... I'm having a battle with my innerself right now. I will not give away any spoilers at the moment, but you'd better hurry the heck up in posting Part 2, or else...!

Mall Worker said...

What a cute story! Thanks for sharing it :)

Melzie said...

Awww-- it is a great story! And there's a part 2... *grin* Fun, fun!

CareBearMommy said...

Hey, you! I'm still waiting for Part 2! C'mon! Hurry it up, won't ya!

Rachelle said...

What a great and fun story! Piggy slippers and proposals.