Monday, May 15, 2006

My Life Monday


Week 2 is here. Topic? How I met my spouse....this ought to be fun!!

I was attending ISU in Pocatello. I lived in the dorms at the top of the hill and I attended the LDS Institute at the bottom of the hill. It really wasn't that long of a walk, but there were nights it seemed long. I had no money for living there, but I knew in my heart that the Lord wanted me there...so I could meet my future husband. I knew it would only happen if I lived in Pocatello, and not somewhere else commuting!
I have always loved singing. Since I was little music has been one of my FAVORITE things! I was in the Institute's choir and loved it. The Institute presidency decided to put on a musical of sorts that spring, and desperately needed a choir for back up. So our teacher, Brother Homer, volunteered all of his choirs for the job. We practiced and practiced the music. One night at practice I was talking with my friend, and a guy sitting behind us put his two cents in. I turned around to see who it was and I laid my eyes on the cutest guy I had ever seen. He was tall, blonde, and handsome. I immediately knew that this was the man I would marry. I know it sounds corny, but I just knew! (Thanks to
Rachelle for putting it into words for me!) My spirit recognized his. I had actually dreamed about the boy growing up and knew that he was the man for me. As soon as I glimpsed his face I turned back around and whispered to my friend that I thought he was cute!! We giggled, naturally, and tried to focus on practicing our songs. Another night when practice was over, I went with another one of my friends and stood by as this man that I knew I wanted to spend time with asked HER out on a date. She had just sent her missionary off and was a bit gun shy, but she agreed to go. As soon as he left she begged me to go along with her on this date. I happily agreed. I then told her that I really liked this guy and wanted to go out with him and she was all for helping us get to that point.
Our musical came and we performed really well...we were the heavenly choir! After the musical we got together and went on the "date." Now, Steve wasn't expecting to take 10 girls out with him on this date, but that is what he got. When we got to the theater, the girl he liked was on one side and I was on the other. By this time he and I had gotten to know one another better, and I became his confidant. If he wondered what he should do to help get Tricia to like him...he'd ask me. After the movie, his entourage followed him to the Institute building for a weekly Friday night dance. We got there with about an hour left. As we were chatting in our group, one of my ALL time favorite songs came on...Tim McGraw's Don't Take the Girl. When the song started I began to literally JUMP up and down screaming that it was my favorite song. Steve didn't know what had hit him...but we were dancing together. (All of my friends had pushed the two of us together!) As we danced he sang the words to me and we discussed what the song means. I was on cloud nine!! After dancing with him we went back to the group and I got the look from most of my friends as if they were saying, "You go, girl!!" The last song came on for the dance and without prodding this time he asked me to dance. We danced and discussed his mission. I jokingly told him that if he missed Minnesota that much he should go back. He looked hurt and asked me if I really wanted him to go back. I looked into those gorgeous blue eyes and said, "no."
That week my friends couldn't get me to shut up about the guy! I had never been so twitterpated before and I think I was annoying them. On Sunday afternoon I was helping out in the kitchen for a dinner that our ward was having and I was telling one friend what Steve looked like and how much I liked the guy when she casually asked, "You mean that guy?" And she pointed to the window in the door and I saw his smile. I could have melted into a puddle of goo if he hadn't been around watching me! I let him in and we talked for a while and then he left. Shortly after that he came to my dorm room to ask me if he should give Trish flowers or if he was moving too fast. I was completely biased, but I said he was moving too fast and that she really was in love with her missionary and he should find someone else to pursue.
Not long after that I asked the boy if he wanted to go to the SUB with me to see a movie. He agreed and we had decided to meet at the SUB. After making the plans I found out that the movie I wanted to see wasn't there yet, so I hurried down the hill to get him and bring him to my room so that a group of us could watch a movie and then go to the dance. I remember seeing him and my heart skipping a beat. Then when I got to him he gave me a huge bear hug and I just breathed him in! (He smelled yummy!!) I told him the situation and we hurried to my friend's room to get her and her date. While we were there Steve wanted to confirm some plans with another friend about going to General Conference, so he used her phone. While he was talking with his friend Dan, his tongue slipped and he called him "Dawn!" (My college friends called me that...so much shorter than Dawnyel!) I was ecstatic!
That night was a WONDERFUL night. We learned that we had a LOT in common. We talked and talked and had such fun! As we were chatting on the stairs he told me that he wished I was going with him to Salt Lake. I told him I had plans to see my family for Easter and I was driving home as soon as the dance was over. He told me to be careful and I sarcastically said, "No, I'm going to get into an accident!" A serious look came over him and he told me that if that happened there was no way he could get to see me. He told me that he'd have to beg his friend to take him to the hospital where a girl he liked was in the hospital. (Awwww.....) I was goo from then on!
There were many, many more experiences with him, but these are a few of the fun ones. From then on we were inseparable and after dating for a month and a half we were engaged and after knowing one another for 8 months we married. I know, I know....we moved fast, but when things are right, they're right! I love this man and I'm so glad that the Lord led me to him at that time in my life! I don't know what I'd be without him!

7 comments:

Rachelle said...

That was so cute and fun to read. And I know that exact hill you are talking about. I hated walking up that hill to the institute. Thank goodness for the new one now. What a fun story!

Missy said...

Ah, Knights in Shining ARmor are the best!!! I know cause I married one too. ;)

Mall Worker said...

What a sweet story! I love these "how I met my spouse" stories :)

Blackeyedsue said...

AWWWWWW...You are perfect for each other. He sounds wonderful.

bon said...

Awwwwwww! for holy CUTENESS!

CareBearMommy said...

How sweet! I've heard most of that story before, but there were bits and pieces that I hadn't. Thanks for sharing! That's a good idea to share with everybody how you met your hubby. I ought to do likewise!

Diana Mancuso said...

Geeze Louise, I thought we moved fast! (Engaged after 10 months, married 10 months after that and a child 10 months after that, roughly)