Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Save Our Sanity!!

I am so excited about something that I got in the mail today! I usually dread the drivel that I receive, mostly because I end up with envelopes with mine or my husband’s name on them saying that we’re approved! Ooh, I can’t tell you the frustration I feel when I get 3 to 20 of those a day! I was thrilled to learn that there is something that you can do about those annoying letters. I tried it and I’m excited to see if it works! I thought that I would pass the good news along, since I consider you all my best friends! There is a way to "Opt Out" of credit card offers. Call toll free (in the United States, at least) 888-5OptOut (888-567-8688) and follow the instructions for opting out.
Why might you consider opting out?
1. Save your sanity. (Haven’t I already touched on this point? That was my main reason for doing this in the first place!)
2. Save a tree. By cutting down on the number of offers you receive, you may contribute to a small degree to a decrease in the number of trees cut down in order to make paper.
3. Save your identity. If someone were to steal your mail they could theoretically return one of these offers and open a credit card in your name at a different address.
4. MOST OF ALL, it will make your life much better. I mean, sure, you won’t be "approved" as much as you currently are, but you will be getting actual mail that you want (well, with the exception of bills!)
I called the number and it only takes a few minutes...unless you have an unusual name (like "Dawnyel," what was my mom thinking?) It won’t take effect immediately, but hey...you will be on this list for 5 YEARS!! It couldn’t hurt! I’m excited for the decrease in my mail.

3 comments:

CareBearMommy said...

That is, like, a totally cool idea. A few years ago, when my purse was stolen at work, we flagged the three major credit bureaus (Equifax was one of 'em, can't remember the other two)... in doing so, I wasn't supposed to get any credit card apps sent to my name. Well, I was supposd to report to them every three months. I think I did it twice (since it was kind of a pain in the butt). Now, my hubby and I get them up the wazoo. I'll have to look into this. Cool. Good for you!

Anonymous said...

Thanks a ton! I am totally gonna do this! I dislike solisitors so much! I fI want to buy something I will go to them! I get like 3-4 calls for Dish Network every day...and WE ALREADY HEVE DISH NETWORK! I feel like canceling Dish just because of the calls! (I REALLY need to get on the do not call list). I also get way too many preapproved letters (although we did get one that we accepted because it has a 0% for the life of the balance on transfers...so we transfered like 5000 onto it...YAY for 0% IT DOESN'T EVEN FEEL REAL! 0% wow!)
Anywho...I need to get on that list! Thanks for the heads up!

Diana Mancuso said...

That's great news. I'm going to try to find a number that Canadians can call. I detest getting those pre-approved offers. They are such a nuisance, especially the offers they give you via telephone. Thanks for the tip!