Thursday, April 13, 2006

Hunt for the Perfect Easter Candy

The other day I realized that Easter was just around the corner and it dawned on me that the Easter Bunny nearly forgot the holiday. Usually when it comes to Easter I go way overboard, so I planned to get a few bags and that’s it. I discussed what candies I wanted with my husband and he agreed. And while my son was at speech therapy I went to Walmart to stock up. I can normally find ANYTHING that I want when I go there, so I expected to find the candies on my list easily. That was not the case. We had decided to get one bag each of our own personal favorites from the store: for him it’s those Reeses Pieces Eggs, and for me it’s the Dove milk chocolate eggs. I found the jelly beans and cream eggs easily enough, but Walmart’s shelves were clearing out pretty fast and those candies were NOT there. I was a bit frustrated because Cam’s therapy time was up and I had to take him with me any other place I went searching at and bamboozling a 5-year-old is hard to do.
I convinced Cam that I was at the stores we went to in order to find some yeast. (Which was partially the truth.) On the way back from therapy we stopped at Albertsons. I looked at their selection and realized that their variety was worse than Walmart’s! I wasn’t going to give up though. There are more stores than those in town, I just had to remember where I had seen them before. (In fact, I had bought some of those candies earlier, like at the end of February!) I went to Winco and looked, no luck. Then I tried going to our local Saving’s Center. I ended up finding the yeast I’ve been looking for, but their candy selection was worse than ANY other store I had been to. I had to quit my search because I had to go and practice singing with a couple of other women from my ward for a musical number we have planned for the end of the month. The song was harder than we had anticipated and so I ended up staying there for over an hour trying to figure out the song. When it was over I had called my hubby and told him that I remembered where we had found the candy, it was at Smiths, and that I wanted to get it before I forgot about it. So after my day-long search we now have the perfect candy...just to make us sick and break our "diets." But the search will be worth it!
What is your perfect candy that you will search all over for?

2 comments:

CareBearMommy said...

My perfect easter candy is the Cadburry Mini-eggs in the purple bag. Luckily for me, they're not too hard to find. Now, finding them for the perfect price is a different thing.... they're dang expensive in most places. Wal-Mart's prices finally won us over when we were there for other stuff
(the closest Wal-Mart is like 25 minutes away). ANYway, I'm glad you found your candies that you were looking for. That would have been tragic had you not been able to find them. Tragic for you, and tragic for people having to be around you when you didn't have your candy!

Diana Mancuso said...

My perfect candy is any creamy chocolate (like Cadbury or Hershey chocolate) that has very little sugar or fat but still tastes good. I'll let you know if I find any...