Friday, April 14, 2006

Drumroll please....

Finally....after WEEKS of waiting, we have our new furniture! We were thrilled when we got the call yesterday that told us that our couch had finally caught up with the love seat and chair and as soon as I got the message I called them and scheduled the delivery. We had a little bit of running around, getting rid of the old couches, but now we have nice STURDY furniture.
Our last set was one that someone had just given to us because they had gotten a new set themselves, so it was in fairly good condition when we got it, but after using it over and over we finished breaking the springs and when people would come over to visit, they would SINK in those awful things. So we were excited to give those old things a new home and get our own brand new furniture. I don't think I ever expected to utter those words. How is it that when you are young the only "new" things that people ever got that was exciting was a new car? And now that we've matured (or just in my case...aged) getting new furniture is the thing that excites me?? I don't get that logic, but I don't really care...I have new furniture!! And to my amazement I'm actually sitting in what I have officially dubbed the "mommy chair." Yes, that is a CHAIR...not a love seat! It's HUGE! And I'm so glad!

My husband told me when I took this picture that it should be subtitled, "My husband in his natural habitat!" Which is very appropriate for him! He has always been a couch lounger and now that there isn't a spring in his hip when he lounges, I think I'll be seeing him in this position more often!

And here is Cam in his new favorite piece of furniture...the love seat. You can't tell from this pic, but our previous coffee table has now been shrunk. It used to be the perfect height for throwing up your feet and relaxing, but now it's about 4 or 5 inches shorter than the couches. It's silly, but we'll get used to it! NO PROBLEM there!
We actually had a busy day on top of getting the new stuff. We had our transition meeting for Cam's entrance into Kindergarten and it went fairly well. I don't know what it is, but his teacher for next year was great, the special ed person was helpful, his therapists and current teacher heavily lobbied for him to have an aide next year who would be there to keep the boy on task...it seemed like all were in agreement, until the principal came in. She heard me mention that Cam can be aggressive with kids and automatically assumed that he's aggressive all of the time. He usually only gets that way when he's been distracted and isn't doing what he's supposed to. So suddenly after feeling like we could get what we had hoped from his entrance into kindergarten the principal throws out all these extra services that she thinks would be helpful for him. I do have to interject and put in here that she was 30 minutes late to the meeting and missed all the background info that would have probably stopped her babbling. So she tells our service coordinator that she should get him signed up for counseling, IBI (not sure what all the letters stand for, but "B" stands for behavior), and treatment in the community where he will learn to interact with other kids. I just wanted to hit her in the head and say, "HE'S A NICE BOY!! LET IT GO!!" But she just went on and on...we were all frustrated, and his current teacher kept telling her that he hasn't had ANY major conflicts with the boy in the 3 years he's been dealing with him. But she wouldn't listen. I was just annoyed and left my husband and service coordinator to fill out forms while I went with Cam and his future teacher to see the kindergarten classroom. While I was there I learned something that just shocked me! They are teaching these little 5 year olds to READ!! I remember that I didn't learn how to read until I was in first grade! They have put so much pressure on these kids that now they are teaching them to read. Kindergarten is less social learning and more mental learning. I was just in awe. I can't believe that by this time next year they will be having my baby reading! (At least that's the plan!) Cam was so excited after visiting the school that now he wants to stop with preschool and go to the "big kid school." It's so hard to see him grow up and become independent. I guess it's just a part of the circle of life! The funny thing about this whole situation from this morning with the principal going on and on was that I received a call this afternoon that made me feel much better about my desire for Cam just to have an aide. His OT from school called and told us that in her professional opinion she doesn't believe that he needs all of those things that the principal suggested. She is certified IBI (I'm still not sure what it means, but when I learn what it means I will tell you...from what I have deduced IBIs are specialized therapists.) And with her expertise she thinks that if we can get him an aide he will succeed. It was a load off my mind! I just hope that Cam will continue to bloom the way he has this past year. I'm crossing my fingers and I'm going to continue working with him and hope all goes well!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
CareBearMommy said...

I, too, hope you can get the help for Cam that he needs. I understand a little bit of what you're going through, since Jazz was in Early Intervention for almost three years. (She will still receive help from the language pathologist when she enters Kindergarten). It hurts to see your child struggle (that I know), and as a parent, you feel it's your right and responsibility to help them in any way you can. I wish your family the best.

By the way, those are like totally pimpin' couches, dude! At first, I did think you were sitting on the love seat, but you set me straight. I hope you create many happy and comfy memories in the Mommy Chair! SWEET!

Blackeyedsue said...

Congrats on the new furniture! Gotta love the old newlywed furniture. We finally got rid of ours 1 1/2 years ago. I almost burned them. LOVE the chair that you are sitting in. At my house we call ours the "Big Butt Chair". Whoever has the biggest butt gets to sit in it all alone (This may be the only perk my big butt has to offer).

Kindergarten is such a fun adventure. My little girl started last fall. The best advice I could give you is to BE INVOLVED. It is really good to develop that relationship with the teacher. I know almost everything that is going on in my daughters classroom. I am lucky enough to be the head room mother too. Just wait until the first time you try to spell something to your dh and your ds busts you. It is so hard to have them grow up, but so wonderful to see them develop into who they are going to be. Good luck!

Rachelle said...

Yay for new furniture! And I hope it all works out for Cam. I hope he gets the services he needs without all the crap from the principal.

Melzie said...

New furniture rocks!!! :) As for teh principal--- hopefully she'll be brought in the right by everyone- once you are out of earshot. Don't worry too much (easy for me, I'm not his mommy!), I'm sure the others will step in on his behalf!

Anonymous said...

well... it sounds like you had a busy day...and that in the end it was all good! I REALLY hope that you can get the help you feel he needs for him, and not have to go with the opinion of the principal. With a little guidance he will do just fine. It was good to see him interact with Matthew the other day..I really think he treats the little girl you watch like he would a sister because she is around so much...and we all know that we tend to treat our siblings worse than ANY other person on the planet when we are young! He was gentle with Matthew and shared his toys and took him upstairs to play...and then played with him! That tell me that he may need a little help with behavior...but certainly not IBI or whatever it is! Good luck with that!