Friday, March 10, 2006

Skiing with blisters

I have a good friend that reminded me of a funny memory that just makes me smile. When we were seniors in high school we joined the outdoor club, just so we could go on the annual cross-country ski trip. She went the year before and insisted that I go with her that year. So we went to the place where we needed to rent our boots and I promptly forgot which boots were supposed to be for me. So when we went on the trip we were short some boots, and I just grabbed what I thought would fit. I'm sure that the boots I was supposed to have were one of the pairs that were missing. But anyway, my friend and I went off on our merry way. I'd never skied before....ever. I know, I know...I live in Idaho, I should have skied at least once, but, no, I've never skied except for that one time! Anyway, we set off on the trail and I remember falling every few feet. Before too long I learned how to fall without hurting myself too badly, but I still fell a lot! We ended up laughing just as much as we fell.... On our way to the cabin we decided that we had to make a pit-stop, but there were very few places to "go." So we found that the snow wasn't very deep around the trees...so we wandered off the trail to climb into a hole to try to have some privacy. We had some pretty cold bums after that jaunt!
When we finally got to the cabin my feet were killing me! Not only that, but my backpack had broken, so my shoulders were killing me. My friend wanted to go skiing, but I opted out. By this time my blisters were dime-sized. That night we stayed up most of the night playing Phase 10 and laughing. The next day we had to borrow a sled to get my stuff out. By the end I was turned off to skiing, and I haven't done it since. I think that if I got the right size boots it would be a better experience!

1 comment:

CareBearMommy said...

Ouch! I had totally forgotten that you were in the outdoor club in high school. Imagine that! Me, forgetting something about you! Kinda freaky, eh?