Monday, March 20, 2006

I Hated Potty-training!

Okay, so I was chatting with a friend today and she reminded me of an unforgettable memory about when I was potty-training Cameron. I just have to share...it's very blog-worthy! Be forewarned, this is pretty disgusting...for those of you with weak constitutions, DO NOT READ!
I was having a hard time getting Cam to recognize that when he needed to go potty, that he needed to tell me and not just go in his pants. So I was trying all kinds of methods that other moms had told me worked for them. The one I was trying that day happened to be the "let-your-kid-run-around-in-only underwear-so-that-they-don't-mess-up-perfectly-cleaned-pants." I figured that if he went in his underwear it was way easier to clean up than pants AND underwear. I often let him wander alone in our apartment and he would usually go upstairs by himself and play in his room. While he was upstairs I was talking with our service coordinator about Cam's therapies and school. As soon as we were finished talking, I walked her to the door and called for Cam to come down the stairs to say good-bye. At this age he wasn't just walking down the stairs, he would bounce down them on his bum. He started at the top stair and bounced his little bottom down. When he was half-way down I realized that he wasn't just bouncing his bum, but a loaded pair of underwear too. He had pooped and was smearing each step with his own signature! I was so disgusted! I think our service coordinator was thoroughly disgusted too. She quickly left and I was stuck with this gross mess. I thought I would be prepared when I started this experiment by having a can of Spot Shot on hand, but I quickly realized how unprepared I really was. It took one full can...plus another one that I had to buy later that day! I was stuck at my house without a car and so I called my mom in a panic to beg her to come and get me so that I could get some more Spot Shot and clean up the mess. I know that she was trying her hardest NOT to laugh at me. Looking back I can still remember the disgust, but I'm glad some time has passed, because now I can see the humor in the situation. So for those of you starting the potty-training process....DON'T DO THIS METHOD!! IT DOESN'T WORK!!

6 comments:

CareBearMommy said...

Beautifully told, Dawnyel.... Beautifully told! Even though I already knew the story (heck, I'm the one that brought it up in our little chat today), it still gave me a good laugh when I read it. Isn't potty training so much fun?! I'll be traveling down that road again in another year or two. Boy, am I looking forward to that (not)!

Anonymous said...

Fabulous story...I am sure I will be loaded with thm before too long! It's a good thing that you didn't do the "let him run around completely naked" method! I am soooooo not looking forward to potty training...although we have taken the first step of putting Matthew on the potty before each bath in an attempt to help him not be so scared of it when the time arrives! I am attempting to build up my sanity level before it starts for real so that I don't end up in an institution!

Rachelle said...

Oh that is so gross. What a great story!

Melzie said...

LOL!!! I am very thankful I don't have any potty training stories, LOL!!!

Mama D said...

This is advice that I will definately be taking. Ah potty training. It should be interesting.

Diana Mancuso said...

Thanks for the warning! Forewarned is forelorned, as they say...