Monday, March 06, 2006

From winter to spring and back to winter all in the same day

This weekend we went on a "quick" trip to Utah for a wedding reception for one of my cousins who lives in Arizona. We figured that since she and her family were so close that we had to make the trip just to see them and wish the new couple well. So Cam and I rode down with my parents and two of my brothers to see them. When we left town it was snowing and blowing so bad that we could barely see the interstate or the cars in front of us (I was very glad that my dad was driving, I was too nervous to even look out the windows!) We got there fairly early, the reception didn't start until 6:30 and we were there at 2:00, so we decided to go to Salt Lake for a little goofing off and entertainment. We ended up at one of the malls looking around a book store when I looked out into the hall. I thought I saw one of my aunts and uncles, so I zoomed out. It was them...along with my aunt and uncle from Arizona. It was a quick and fun family "reunion" in the middle of the ZCMI mall. We all laughed and hugged and got reacquainted. Then while we were out in the hall I saw a store just across the way. It was a tie store I had wanted to visit and while we were there so I could find a tie for Cam. The check-out lady was a girl who used to live down the street from my parents so I had to rush in there to visit with her too. It was a lot of fun. We had wanted to see a new movie that was playing in the Joseph Smith Memorial Building, but my aunt and uncle told us that when they had gone they only had stand-by seating and they ended up on the floor watching it. So we bagged the idea. We did some sight-seeing on Temple Square and had a fun afternoon.
My sister had joined up with us when we were in the mall and she had to hurry over to the Hilton to get her husband while he was on his break from a musical conference that he was attending. So we all decided to get together and find a place to eat dinner. My sister is directionally challenged, which means that she gets lost VERY easily, and she ended up going the wrong way to get her hubby. So we were going to get her and pick up her husband then go to dinner, but she figured out where she was. We went to dinner and had a good time. Then we went to the reception in Ogden (about 30 miles North of SLC). For most of the day we were walking around Salt Lake without coats or jackets, the weather was gorgeous!! They even had little baby flowers popping out of the ground, we were a bit jealous! Anyway, we went to the reception and had a lot of fun. I had taken my camera to snatch a few pics of my family while we were there, but when I had grabbed it that morning I didn't realize that the darn thing was still on. So when I pulled it out for the reception the battery was dead. I was upset, but got over it quickly. We had a fun visit and then we left.
On the way home my mom and brother and I talked to help keep my brother awake. My dad had taken the back seat and was sleeping for most of the ride. Cam, my other brother and I were in the middle seat watching movies. When we got just outside of Pocatello my brother immediately slammed on the brakes. Standing in a straight row on the interstate was 5 deer. They were all looking the other way too, so we came to a complete halt on the road and had to wait. When my brother stopped, my dad, who was in the back seat rolled into me and my brother. Luckily though, no one got hurt, deer or otherwise. We got home safely, to cold and snow, but we had fun.

2 comments:

CareBearMommy said...

Whoa! It sounds like you had a fun, fast-paced day! I'm glad that you made it home safely. Deer can be a big hazard on the road... my dad ran into one once and it totalled his pickup. I can't imagine the damage that 5 would do.

That's a bummer about your camera. I would have liked to see some pics. That'll teach you, though! It's a mistake you will likely not make again!

Anonymous said...

Makes you wanna move further south huh!
I used to love the esaarly flowers in Moscow...the ground in most likely already covered with daffodill and tulip shoots on campus aboput now! When you go there you need to take some pics for me PLEASE!!!!