Friday, July 22, 2011

I Saw a Doctor (Well, a Nurse, REALLY) Today

I was in excruciating pain today. I couldn't even lift up my arm to help out...it was bad. And last night the wound started oozing.....
I called my doctor's office multiple times and got NO answer. I had enough, so I went to a Redi-care (ER alternative, supposedly faster and better...) They were super busy, so I sat in the waiting room and slept for a half hour while I waited.
When the nurse called me back, I explained everything that has been going on. I mentioned that it began oozing last night. She told me that they'd have a doctor (who turned out to be an RN) come and look at it.
He was very nice. He apologized over and over for hurting me (I did cry.....and I always thought I was a tough gal...) I warned him that it was already oozing (when I'd changed into their gown I noticed LOTS of pus and crud....it was SO gross!) He was okay with it. He covered his face with a mask and his glasses (in case it REALLY decided to explode) and lanced it for me. The worst part was when he was packing gauze into the wound when it was all over, THAT really made me cry.
Then they put me on an antibiotic IV that I have to return to get for the rest of the weekend. I also have to get the packing changed out.
He gave me two prescriptions and I was done.
Thankfully, my parents had kept my boys with them the whole time. That was wonderful.
But things are starting to get fuzzy....I've taken my pain pill....so I'll leave it at that. More treatment is necessary, but I'm okay for now! :)

2 comments:

Kim said...

Oh man, I'm glad you went there and had it checked out. Scary, you definitely need to get it checked out. When is your doctor's appointment this week? I will leaving town tomorrow and will be gone a few days, but will be back by Friday or the weekend. Let me know what happens. Hugs!

Dawnyel said...

I'll be going in to see the doctor at redi-care this evening, then they'll schedule an appointment with wound care and a surgeon for me. :( I'll keep you updated tho.