Tuesday, May 04, 2010

Love Story, Part 12

End of May 1999:
The weekend before Memorial Day, Steve had come for a visit. I was finished with school, and was missing him terribly. My parents had decided to take the day to go scouting around for a new campsite for our annual camping trip. They invited Steve to go camping with us, and he agreed to go. We drove ALL over the place, and couldn't find a place that we really loved. All through the drive, Steve and I sat in the back seat of my parents' suburban, him with his arm around me, and me snuggling up to him.
After getting back to my parents' house after our drive, Steve and I watched a movie. It ended late, and I was going to take him home, but my mom said that she would feel more comfortable if I took him home the next day. He was okay with that, and I felt the same. My sister had her friend over, and it was time for her friend to go home and my mom asked me to drive her home and then fill the suburban with gas. I threw on my piggy slippers, and grabbed Steve and we were off. On the way to dropping off this girl, Steve asked me if after we'd dropped her off if we could take a detour. I knew what he meant. He wanted me to take him to the temple. I didn't think it was too bad of an idea, but I did think, in the VERY back of my mind, "He's gonna propose."
"No, you're just being paranoid, stop thinking things like that, because when they don't happen, you're going to be upset."
"But, he's gonna propose."
"NO! Stop it!"
After arguing with myself, I dropped off my sister's friend and we were off. Once we pulled into the parking lot, I found a close-ish parking spot, and listened to the radio play, "God Must Have Spent A Little More Time On You." I turned to Steve and said, "Well, I would get out and walk with you, but I'm wearing my slippers. Don't worry, I'll wait here."
He smiled and took my hand. It was nice.
Then he asked, "Can I ask you a question?"
Bells were going off in my mind, "He's DEFINITELY going to propose!" But then the other part of my mind pushed those *crazy* thoughts aside. I told him to go ahead.
"Dawnyel, I love you, would you spend the rest of your life with me? Will you marry me?"
I would say shock was there, but you already know what I was thinking. I did pause for a split second to decide if this was what I really wanted, and then my pounding heart answered for me. We kissed (again, sweet, innocent kisses...) and then we drove away. As we got to the first stop light, I began laughing. He asked me why I was laughing and I told him, "I'm wearing my piggy slippers." We joked about that for a minute, and he said, "It will be a good story to tell our kids." (THAT statement shocked me a little, I mean, I was only BARELY engaged! Kids??) As I turned the corner, I was in such a blissful fog that I thought the road was a one way, and I drove on the wrong side of the road. I corrected my mistake, and then continued on. We filled the vehicle with gas, and then we went back to my house. I told him that I'd like to keep our engagement just between the two of us for a while, but that I would like to get married that fall....maybe October.
He was fine with it, and so was I. I was going to MARRY him!

No comments: