Tuesday, December 02, 2008

What to Say?

I can't tell you the number of times I've had perfect strangers come up to me and comment on how "gorgeous" my baby is. Now, don't take this to mean I'm bragging, because I'm just trying to make a point.
My point is, why do have these comments now and when I had Cameron I had very few? Not to say that Cam didn't get his fair share of, "look how cute that baby is" comments, but Jake seems to get WAY more.
Is it bad to feel sorry for Cam? He's a cute boy, but he definitely does look different from his brother. People will comment, and I wonder if it hurts his feelings.
Raising these two boys has been such an eye-opener for me. I've definitely noticed the things people have told me for years about Cameron's delays...only because I now see Jake's typical tendencies.
Jacob will be 6 months old on Saturday, and he can already roll around, scoot, sit by himself (well, for a few seconds anyway....probably no longer than a minute....), babble, make raspberries and the list goes on and on. When Cameron was this age it was SO different. And I mourn the fact that my little Cam is not typical.
On top of these non-typical behaviors, I hear over and over how good looking my other baby is.
What can I say?
I've even had some people mention to me that we should enter Jake into a "pretty baby" contest (which we will be doing soon....) But how do I make Cameron feel just as loved and as involved?
It's all so hard!

3 comments:

Jewelle said...

Jacob is a cutie, but so is Cam! I especially love when he wears his suspenders on Sunday! :) We worry about the same thing. Lily is a blue eyed blonde cutie. We hope that Allie will get the same cuteness. Hmmm...only time will tell. I hate that strangers tell us our kids our cute. We get it a TON at the stores. At least five or six times a store. It scares us. We worry that one of our girls will get taken because they are "cute" and "sociable". Ugh...sorry about getting off topic!

Anonymous said...

Well I think they are both handsome. But people just tend to comment on babies more. And it must be hard to see delays in Cam. I'm know you are a great mom and will get him any help he needs.

CareBearMommy said...

As a parent, I know it's sometimes hard not to compare your own children, especially when so many other people do. I hope you realize (and I know you do) that you have two really cute, really sweet boys. So what if they're different from one another.... everyone is different. They are both very blessed little boys to have such a wonderful mom. May the sweat of a thousand camels infest the armpits of those who would say otherwise. :)