Saturday, May 10, 2008

Safe And Sound

So yesterday was QUITE the day for us in my little home. It all started at 4:48 am.
We got a phone call...yes, THAT early in the morning. It was a reverse 911 call telling us that a person was wandering our neighborhood with a gun and we were to lock our doors and stay inside. That's all well and good, it's TOO early to be doing things anyway! :P So we went back to sleep after Steve ran downstairs to make sure that the doors were indeed locked.
Around 6:30 we got ANOTHER call. This time it was from my great-aunt (who happens to be the transportation guru for our school district.) She was calling because they had cancelled school for Cam's school (which is just down the street from us.) We thanked her and immediately turned on the news for information. Well, it turns out there was a psycho guy (who lives at the END of our road) threatening to shoot people. They had called in the SWAT team, and were trying to locate him. Soon after finding out about this crazy man, we got a phone call from Cameron's teacher telling us there was no school because of a security problem.
As we were in the middle of fielding phone calls and trying to figure out what was going on, Cam came in asking what was happening. I told him that there was no school, and he INSTANTLY began crying! We tried to comfort him, but it wasn't going over very well.
After a few more minutes, the news announced that the police had captured the man and things were back to normal. Soon after that news, my aunt called back telling us that school was back on. Then we got another reverse 911 call telling us that the situation was resolved. We were feeling better until my aunt called back and said that they decided to keep the school closed. (Talk about a confusing morning...)
After a while, I got Cam going on his regular routine (why not?) and settled into bed to nap for a while before it was actually time to get up. Soon after "relaxing" we got ANOTHER call from Cam's teacher telling us that the principal decided to have school anyway. (This thrilled Cam, after being disappointed 3 times that morning already....)
I guess the guy went berserk and even shot out his OWN apartment window. Thankfully, he's not roaming my streets anymore....but YIKES!!
All is well....thank you policemen! :)

10 comments:

Melzie said...

Good grief!!! At least this all happened before school, and so early-- a blessing for sure!

Mattsmom said...

Holy crap woman! Were you freaking? Even a little? You seem fairly put together now. I don't think I would have allowed Matthew to go to school even if it hadn't been canceled. That is NUTSO!

Mattsmom said...

Well...until they caught the guy. Then I would have booked his booty to class!

Sketchy said...

Man! What a insane way to start the day. I'm glad though that it ended up being OK and you are all safe and sound!

Rachelle said...

Oh my goodness! What a day! I am so glad everybody is safe and sound!

Anonymous said...

Whew! It's your turn this time to live in the middle of the craziness! Glad it all turned out okay.

Gina said...

What a morning! So many back and forths. I would have been in a panic. I am glad Cam got to go to school after all... poor guy.

One Scrappy Gal said...

Oh man!! That's insane but glad they caught the guy before he could do damage to human beings!!

YIKES!!

How did the reverse 911 call look on the caller i.d.? Because I can't hear on the phone but if I saw them on caller i.d. I could be on high alert.

Dawnyel said...

The reverse 911 on Caller ID looks like 999-911-9999. (I know you can't hear the ringing either, but with that number, it actually rings different than a normal call too!)

I have a good life said...

Oh my! What a crazy, crazy, crazy day! WOW! So glad that you are safe. So glad, also, that they have systems in place to let you know what to do when necessary. That is a blessing! :)